Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,910   Online: 993

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Ektalure Shelf Life

Recently acquired a couple packages of the fabled Kodak Ektalure. One package is dated 01/87, the other one is 03/80. Any chance the paper will still be alive? Think its been stored at room temperature, no refrigeration.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have from early and later 70's never cold-stored and has no fog at all. Much better than other papers I have that are slower.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Recently acquired a couple packages of the fabled Kodak Ektalure. One package is dated 01/87, the other one is 03/80. Any chance the paper will still be alive? Think its been stored at room temperature, no refrigeration.
    I'll bet it's still good.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If it has "some" age fog, you can still salvage it by using Anti-fog (Benzotriazole) in your developer. Edwal Liquid Orthazite is another name for this restrainer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

IT WORKED!!!

Dang, if it didn't work and work well!

I used the 1980 package, which had been opened, and was wrapped in the old-style paper packaging material. The paper worked perfectly. No fog, speed was about equal to current fresh papers. Developed in PF 130, 1:2. Remarkable!
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm ... I found three unopened 10 sheet packs of 11x14 Kodak (various "poly"s) yesterday, and almost threw them out. No idea how old they are, except they are probably from the 1990s. I guess I can at least try them.

(edit):
    Polycontrast III RC
    PolyMax RC
    PolyMax Fine-Art ("process before 02/02"):o
    Last edited by David Brown; 05-20-2008 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hey David, thanks for reminding me something. I went ahead and posted my Ektalure test print and dedicated it to the Texas Church Gang. Thanks!
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    If it has "some" age fog, you can still salvage it by using Anti-fog (Benzotriazole) in your developer. Edwal Liquid Orthazite is another name for this restrainer.

One problem with using that is that it will tend to go more neutral/cold and take away some of the warmth of the paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin