Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,594   Online: 849

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hm. We routinely used chloroform for cleaning during chem labs when acetone wouldn't do the trick. Then again we had fume hoods and a chem disposal team, which I don't have in my home.

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone tried using pure Splenda? It's also an organochloride (no, you shouldn't be consuming it, either). Hehe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Varsol (mineral spirits) is cheap, has a relatively high flash point and does a good job. I think toxicity is quite low but really; a well ventilated room means do it outside.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Come on, Kino. A few ounces of Chloroform against the thousands of pounds of whatever harmful substances flooding into our environment every year? Sure, a few ounces of something is bad enough since if it's OK for me I should allow everyone a few ounces of stuff
    But everyone does have a few ounces of stuff. ?
    TriChlor is used in pools?

Seriously though. Are you squeaky clean, Kino? I doubt it? Where are your balls? You don't pollute? Pollute is just a nice way of saying poison, right?
    We press things upon people all the time. That's life. Life right now, anyway. Life not soon to be changed, if ever.
    What about Superfund sites? Who gives a shit? Only the people that live in or near those sites and a few people who can build a reputation off it
    Can you name all the sites around you that are pulluted? You march every weekend and tie ribbons? That shits fake. Not sincere. Victor, Ny has an area above the accepted level of trichlor in the groundwater -a superfund site- and it has been 20 years since they knew it was contaminated. Scott Norwood was just kicking wide right.

Who said I'm not a responsible person? I'm asking questions. I think it's responsible to do just that. I don't think it's very responsible to just scare someone out of doing something. Knowledge doesn't make an enemy. Stupid makes enemies. What does waste disposal do with trichlor once they get it? Bottle it up and dump? I don't know. Might as well use it safely and then dump it. You don't wash the film off after you treated it to some trichlor, do you? Do you?

You handled hundreds of pounds ..a career in chloroform that would necessitate higher levels of precaution
    I have some ounces.
    Trichlor seems to be less harmful to the ozone than an old can of aqua-net. lol "1,1,1-Trichloroethane has been given an ozone depletion potential of 0.1, which is 10 times lower than most chlorofluorocarbons. It is included in the Montreal Protocol because of its large production for mainly emissive uses."
    No big deal for my personal use then.

"Early symptoms of CNS depression (dizziness, light-headedness) have been reported at 450 to 900 ppm. Disturbances in equilibrium occurred at 1900 ppm with marked incoordination at 5000 ppm."
    That's quite a bit. And I don't drink alcohol.
    "The most common findings on autopsy has been fluid accumulation (edema) in the lungs. In workers who survived acute exposures, there were no signs of liver, kidney or heart toxicity.(3,4) Deaths have also occurred in some people who have intentionally inhaled large amounts of 1,1,1-TCE "
    "Immersion of the hand in liquid 1,1,1-TCE for 30 minutes produced a burning sensation, but only mild redness which lasted one hour.(5) Prolonged or repeated contact may result in dermatitis due to defatting of the skin.(3) Animals studies indicate that 1,1,1-TCE is a slight to moderate skin irritant. There is minimal absorption of 1,1,1-TCE through the skin and this is not considered to be a major route of exposure."
    "1,1,1-TCE produces only mild, temporary irritation on direct contact."
    "Accidental ingestion of about 1 ounce (600 mg/kg) produced severe vomiting and diarrhea for 6 hours after ingestion, but no signs of CNS disturbances. Follow-up studies indicated no evidence of liver or kidney injury."

Seems like I need a pair of gloves and a container to put the used cotton in and then dispose of every year

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know SOS, you ask an opinion, you get an answer. Seems you had your mind made up before you got here, so why bother?

Never said I was squeaky clean, I do my part to pollute this World, that is for sure, but I don't do it on purpose or when I have been given information that my actions COULD cause harm to the environment and that's no excuse for me to willingly disregard the warnings or expose someone else to contamination because I choose not to believe...

Superfund sites? Are you KIDDING? Google "Superfund" and "Dayon, Ohio" sometime. Where the heck do you think General Motors, National Cash Register, Wright-Patterson AFB and the Mound Nuclear Facility got their start? Hello, A-Bomb production?

My advice WAS based on 13 years of first-hand knowledge of USE of Trichlor, which you brushed off as scare-tactics because you didn't want hear it.

I'll say it again; PLEASE, if you feel like it will improve your photography, DRINK the stuff, but don't expose anyone else to the chemical through your biases.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kino, I was hoping to find out if its something that would work well/better than other substances and how you'd most effectively use it.
    I was able to get some and thought I might as well take some if it's any good ..I don't see the point of not using something already made unless it can be turned into something non-toxic and disposed of like water
    I didn't know whether motion pictures were somehow more resisitant to the solvent than still image film
    or if motion pictures weren't meant to last forever/many duplicates would be made so that it wasn't a huge deal to ruin one copy with overcleaning

If someone were
    well, if a few people had said that trichlor damages or could possibly damage or isn't any better than water & Photo-Flo .."overkill" for still photographers I'd leave it alone and wouldn't think twice about it

You didn't give any info at all on uses but rather went straight to scare straight. I figured it was clear that I wouldn't be handling gallons of the stuff
    After reading your post I did more research just because I believed there was no way in hell it could be quite THAT bad.
    Your first reply was accepted for what it was ..it led me to do more on my own sooner than I would have otherwise

Don't do it on purpose? You think I'm just playing skip the bottle of trichlor over the stream?
    We all buy things and that=pollution=on purpose. When was the last time you used a reel lawn mower or sickle or scythe?
    I know we all know this but those things do far more damage to people and the environment than my little amount of carefully used/discarded trichlor ever likely will
    Seems to be "banned" only because it was so good at its job that so much was used - in ways in which its disposal could not be regulated- that it was safer to essentially "ban" it then try restricting it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fair enough.

The stuff you have is a wonderful solvent for cleaning all bases of film; acetate, diacetate and polyeser/estar. It is good for heavy de-greasing, but will probably not have too good an effect on water marks unless you use some mechanical scrubbing with a lint free cloth or such. For base side water spotting, a photo chamois and distilled water with a drop of photoflo would probably do as well or better; emulsion side spotting... I'd try the trichlor first and if that doesn't work, try the chamois VERY GENTLY after the Trichlor is totally dry (just a few seconds).

Long term effects on bases COULD lead to some early brittleness, but 40 years of motion picture use (which has essentially the same base formulations) does not seem to point to this being an excessive worry.

Best way to use a very small quantity, is to put it in a small bottle, take a nitrile gloved hand (you aren't getting off without some safety lecture, I was hazmat certified) and dab a bit on a soft, microfiber cloth and rub the negative in a light circular motion. Soon as you can, remove the rag from the room, put it in direct sunshine to evaporate any remaining solvent and when its dry you can wash it.

Don't let it come in contact with aluminum or galvanized metal; bad business.

As for it being banned, you can believe whatever you want. Frankly, we in our lab always thought the Perc was more hazardous than the Trichlor, but for some reason, one got banned and one did not.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    thanks, Kino
    I'll respect the stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    I use PEC 12http://www.lumierephoto.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code =50-411&Category_Code=CHSU

Not sure what it's made of but I find it to be a very good product.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    I use a soft, lint-free cloth wound around my finger with lighter fluid applied to the end. It seems to wipe off finger prints and just about anything else. I keep a bottle of lighter fluid next to my enlargers for just that purpose.
    FYI, lighter fluid is naptha. Charcoal lighter fluid is odorless mineral spirits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin