Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,617   Online: 728

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm

In my hands, Kodak Film Cleaner

Vintage, "OLD," maybe 1970's as a guess. I probably picked it up for fifty cents or something on a bargain table many years ago. I've never used it, it's about 1/2 full. It originally sold at a Wasatch Photo for $4.63. Quite a sum back whenever it was.

Huge warning over the product name about flammability.

Contains 1,1,2-tricholor-1,2,2-trifluoroethane (76-13-1) and heptane (142-82-5).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thats the real thing...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have been 'lurking' on this thread, since I used to use Tri-chloro-ethylene as an anesthetic agent. (there! I given away my cover). It's advantage over ether was it's non-inflammability. Ether fires were high in everyone's mind back in the 50-60's. It does make your fingers numb if you use it to swab down greasy things for more than half hour or so but I'm still here all these years later to tell the tale. I do believe I have a bottle in the cupboard, stashed away as a dry-cleaner. I even read they make decaff coffee by washing the beans in it.
    It doesn't rot your liver like (say) halothane.
    Are we really talking about the same thing? Flammable?
    I used to have this idea it was the cement used to splice my 8mm home movies. Therefore I'd be careful about using it to clean film.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not purely the cement; might have been an additive to dry the cement faster is my guess...

It evaporates very, very quickly; like ether... but I don't have to tell you that, eh?

Shooter
    Medium Format

choloform/tri

Carbon Tec

Some times I marvel that I am still alive and in reasonable good health. In the 50ís I was in the USN Photo School in Pensacola Fl,. We used to use Carbon Tec as it was called poured out on the asphalt tile floors to clean off the scuff marks for the weekly inspections and buffed them with a floor polisher. Of course I also now wear hearing aids because we didnít know that the noise level of the first jets on our aircraft carrier was harmful It was being aware of the spinning propellers that was the main danger.!

Shooter
    35mm

Tec? Or "tet?"

Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    Carbon Tec

Some times I marvel that I am still alive and in reasonable good health. In the 50’s I was in the USN Photo School in Pensacola Fl,. We used to use Carbon Tec as it was called poured out on the asphalt tile floors to clean off the scuff marks for the weekly inspections and buffed them with a floor polisher. Of course I also now wear hearing aids because we didn’t know that the noise level of the first jets on our aircraft carrier was harmful It was being aware of the spinning propellers that was the main danger.!
    Carbon tetrachloride, was very common cleaner once.

I used to play with blobs of mercury, test for stamp watermarks in benzene, wash parts for hours in gasoline w/o gloves, rode bicycles w/o airbags :rolleyes: and God only knows what all types of behaviors that the safety gestapo will save me from today.

Fortunately, I seem to be on the "not dead" side of LD50's!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin