Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,293   Online: 1147

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HP5+ fogged by xrays?

What are the telltale effects on film that has been zapped with too much
    xrays? I have ~10 rolls of HP5+ that went into my checked luggage all
    the way and back from SE Asia a few weeks ago.

The first roll I finally had time to process this week was not completely exposed
    and the unexposed frames show a lot of uniform, very dense fog all over which
    is also visible between the exposed frames, something that I have never seen
    before using my usual dev recipe.
    Does xray fogging produce 'hot-spots' or is it very uniform?

Trying to figure out what went wrong...
    jf
    jf
    --
    "The fact was I had the vision...I think everyone has...what we lack is the method." J.Kerouac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    X-rayed film could have a variety of odd marks, streaks, hot spots, and overall higher level of fog, higher grain...you name it.

It is not that likely in carry-on bags. But with checked luggage, which uses stronger beams of rays, and a high-speed film like HP5, it is likely you will have some effects from the X-rays.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My HP-5 went through the scanners for hand baggage about 15 times on a trip to Chile & Peru last Oct/Nov with no problems.

I'd expect problems if it went in the checked baggage in the hold, and all manufacturers warn against carrying that way.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Film went through checked bags, not carry-on.

Anyways, I'll process more rolls over the weekend and I'll know for sure.
    Just to reiterate: the fog is very uniform all over the frames...

cheers, jf
    jf
    --
    "The fact was I had the vision...I think everyone has...what we lack is the method." J.Kerouac

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear jf,

Did security force you to put the film in your checked baggage? This could be a real problem if it is required on international flights.

Look here for examples of X-Ray fogging: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.jhtml

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear jf,

Did security force you to put the film in your checked baggage? This could be a real problem if it is required on international flights.

Look here for examples of X-Ray fogging: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.jhtml

Neal Wydra
    Nope, no one forced me, it was my own stupid idea
    However I was once denied to have a hand-inspection
    of my carry-on rolls at Heathrow Airport and was forced
    to have them x-rayed/scanned...

Looking at the Kodak examples gives me hope as
    there is no banding, etc on the neg....

regards, jf
    jf
    --

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The X-ray will cause more uniform fogging with density variation due to scatter. The luggage scanners for checked bags can ruin film on one pass, if they stop for a second look forgetaboutit, they can focus on particular items in your luggage especially anything electronic looking, once that happens any film in the bag is toast. Even at a low energy like 70KeV the dose to your bag will increase from about 0.2 cGy/sec (rad/sec) at 200cm to 7.0 cGy/sec (rad/sec) at 30 cm, and they get in closer then that. It is likely that your checked luggage will be exposed to greater then 30 cGy/sec (rad/sec) and if they dwell on something in there...well you get the idea.

The carry on luggage scanner is a weak 70KeV or so X-ray which is attenuated by .5mm lead equivalent sheath. At that X-ray energy and distance the tin of the film will likely attenuate 50% of the exposure anyway which is why you should be careful with 120 roll film. I would expect that without the tin can 120 film may not stand too many passes.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saganich View Post
    At that X-ray energy and distance the tin of the film will likely attenuate 50% of the exposure anyway which is why you should be careful with 120 roll film. I would expect that without the tin can 120 film may not stand too many passes.
    What "tin can"??
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin