Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,240   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Please stay far away from a Yankee tank -- learned my lesson the hard way on that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just use your normal developer of choice, you can't afford to experiment while out in the field.

I haven't ever seen any even the slightest difference between images developed while camping and images developed in my darkroom, or elsewhere.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I never did get the Yankee tank to work - go with JoBo

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Please stay far away from a Yankee tank -- learned my lesson the hard way on that one.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with a Yankee tank was something like 40 years ago, but I still remember the hideous uneven development I got with it. I do wonder though, whether if it were used with divided development as Paul suggested, it might actually work ok. It is the agitation that was the problem. In the A bath, agitation isn't critical as long as full saturation is achieved. In the B, without agitation, the crummy design of the tank wouldn't be of the same impact on the results, seems to me. What might be of issue, however, is the flow of the liquid when pouring in and out. I don't remember how that tank handles it. Fluid streaming across the film would certainly influence the result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    My experience with a Yankee tank was something like 40 years ago, but I still remember the hideous uneven development I got with it. I do wonder though, whether if it were used with divided development as Paul suggested, it might actually work ok. It is the agitation that was the problem. In the A bath, agitation isn't critical as long as full saturation is achieved. In the B, without agitation, the crummy design of the tank wouldn't be of the same impact on the results, seems to me. What might be of issue, however, is the flow of the liquid when pouring in and out. I don't remember how that tank handles it. Fluid streaming across the film would certainly influence the result.
    I would only use a Yankee tank with a divided developer. I have used my Yankee with Dianfine, (plus X rated at 200, it has been several years) on the road in motels or hotels , but not in a camper. If you start your development time as soon as the tank is full and give the negatives a full 4 mints, your drain time will not matter as the negative is saturated. But then again if you need trays for the larger negatives having a Yankee Tank will be of little help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My problem with the Yankee tank was hideously uneven development at the edges -- no matter what I tried by way of agitation, it existed. I even tried to lift the film in and out of the developer in a darkened room (negating the benefit of a daylight tank) and still the same results.

It's awful. Use it for planting flowers or washing film sheets...anything, but developing your precious work.

Shooter
    35mm

Weegee had a darkroom in his trunk.

"F/8 and be there." He also had a rare NY licensed police band radio to get to the action. He would develop his stuff, somehow, and avoided a trip to his home darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try going on a dry run with your initial idea for a set-up, see how it works.

I know that's not exciting advice, but it'll probably help you the most.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin