Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,139   Online: 811

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Film developing while traveling in remote areas

I'm lucky enough to be able to take off in my pickup truck and small 17' travel trailer for a five month trip to Alaska, Yukon Territories and the Yukon Arctic. Then down to Nevada. Those old towns are very nice and the people are very friendly and interesting. With fuel prices as they are, I think this year will be the last hoorah for a trip of this sort. I'll be shooting 4x5 & 5x7. HP-4+ & Acros. I was wondering how others develop film while traveling without the benefit of a darkroom, running water, and electricity.
    I plan on taking a Harrison tent and a Jobo 3006 tank. I guess I could take the complet Jobo CPP for the time I would have electricity but it takes up a lot of volume.
    Any thoughts, idea's or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm leaving the end of the month.

Regards, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still shooting HP-4 You are lucky !!!! Welcome to APUG.

I regularly travel with my dev tanks etc in the boot of the car, and process where I'm camping. It's quite easy and I've never run into any problems. I use my little camping stove to warm up any water, but generally as I don't camp when it's very cold its all quite simple.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting.

Ian, how do you dry your negatives when at a campsite?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 4X5 get an old Yankee tank and use a divided developer like Dianfine, 4 mints in A and 4 mints in B dont worry about the tempature. For drying negatives make a drying cabinet from a hanging plastic clothing storage unit, the kind that will hold several suits. Folks use them to store clothes in basements ect. Has a zipper and when not in use will fold flat. For 5X7 and larger use a set of trays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uhner View Post
    Interesting.

Ian, how do you dry your negatives when at a campsite?
    When I needed to dry film quickly I used to immerse it in alcohol. Denatured ethyl that comes in a can from the hardware store worked a little better than the drugstore isopropyl, because the latter has 30% water. I never had any trouble with water spotting. Dries fast!

I don't know how this would affect the permanence but I can't see why it would. Anyway, you could rewash when you get home, if you feel the need.

I'm practicing developing film in my truck camper in anticipation of coming excursions. I have the advantage of hot water, which is great. I'm not going to bother with sheet film, since I'm shooting 35mm and 120 6x9.

Of course, you could make yourself a black tent like they used in the 1860's. If you shoot ortho film, you could even use a red window! Actually, I like that idea.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Uhner, I hang them up inside the tent over some newspaper to catch the water drips

It's worked for 25 years for me, so far.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many thanks. If need be I will consider this in the future.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I appreciate the great tips so far...Ian, Nice website...I really like the "wheel shed" photo. Paul, I've never used Dianfine...I'll do a bit of research about it. I do like the idea of temperature independence though.

Thanks again, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your comments Richard, they are appreciated.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was thinking split D-23 (like divided Dianfine) would be the ticket - kind of hard to screw it up - and the results are quite nice - although a little soft.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin