Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,247   Online: 726

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In the thead "Mystery image" it has been proposed that the cause of the strange pattern found on some negatives may have been caused by photo flo carried over from poorly washed developing reels. I have wondered about this as I sometimes don't wash off the reels. Is this a probable or even a possible problem?

I have also read threads wherein someone presoaks with photoflo or one person who even adds a dash of photoflo to the developer to even out developer. It has also been said that the reason Ilford recommends not presoaking (which I do even with Ilford film) is that the backing or emulsion has a little wetting agent included that gets washed away by presoaking.

So whats the consensus opinion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm fairly sure that Ilford do not recommend presoaking because some years ago a well known British photographer had problems with uneven development that was traced to presoaking.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I presoak 11x14" and 8x10" sheets to be processed in pyro developers and find I get more even results that way. I also presoak East European films that have a blue-green anti-halation layer, because the dye comes out better that way, and doesn't seem to come out at the fixing or washing stage, like the magenta T-max dye.

I wouldn't use Photo-Flo in the presoak or developer, though I've heard of this practice.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I presoak everything EXCEPT sheet film for tray development. But that's because my darkroom is leaking light, and I have discovered that the anti-halation layer protects the emulsion from exposure until the development is well under way. I will no longer do Maco 820c "AURA" in trays...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only time I've used a wetting agent, in a developer, is in printing. I was experimenting with the Winchester formula. It is very simular to Dektol, except for adding a wetting agent. I quickly learned that it had to be a Non-ionic wetting agent(e.g. Edwal LFN). Every time I added Photo-flo to Dektol, I would get a tar like substance floating on the surface. The formula prove no better than plain Dektol.

Shooter
    35mm
    A long time ago I've added some Agfa wetiing agent (forgot the name) to developer.
    I cannot comment in the results, since there was no significant difference. Due to that, I stopped using it.

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am no chemist but I would think that if a wetting agent (detergent?) were added to the developer (from poorly washed reels), it might "bubble up" during agitation and cause some strange effects with the developer. Just a thought..BobF may be on to something here.

I find the metal reels easier to wash than the plastic types.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I attended a Mark Citret workshop a while ago, and he makes it a practice to pre-soak all of his tray developed 4x5 film for 5 minutes in a weak photoflo solution before putting the sheets in the developer. He has excellent negatives (and prints!!) with no signs of problems. I did the same while in the workshop and did not have any uneven development problems. I'm guessing it all depends on your particular habits and local water conditions. Heck, I even hear that some people get good negs from PMK. If you can do that, then photo-flo should be a cake-walk!

Clay

P.S. Mark's url is www.mcitret.com He is an excellent photographer, teacher and all round nice guy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I pre-soak all films, roll film and sheet, for five minutes at the temperature of the developer. Never used PhotoFlo but often add a pinch or two of sodium carbonate to open the gelatin a bit and speed up induction.

Can't say I have never had any problems in develoing film, but never have had one that I could blame on pre-soaking.

Sandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin