Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,328   Online: 872

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put film to dry into closet, and spray walls of closet with water. I made film drying closet for 20 USD and 1 hour of work, and when dry film I spray its (inside of course ) walls (including top and bottom) with bottle for spraying flowers filled with plain tap water.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many solutions here, my favorite until I had my darkroom was the bathroom - like mentioned above. Run the shower, create a little steam, then hang in the shower with the curtain closed (and keep people out if you can, like time it for overnight - at least to test the method). They might take longer to dry under more humid conditions, but it will help. The first time you get dust free negs, none of the other stuff will matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pierods View Post
    you mean, you leave the film on the reel and don't use wetting agent?
    Sorry, missed a step. Yes I do use a wetting agent and yes I do leave the film on the reel. The reels are stacked one on top of the other either 2 or 5 deep inside the tube (plastic pipe). I push them up from the bottom. I have two hole drilled at the bottom where I stick a piece of dowelling through to hold the film.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format

reduce drying marks too!

Recently I have been trying the following technique after reading about it somewhere and find that it works quite well:

after the final wash, hang the film vertically and spray it with distilled water (such as that used to top up car batteries) shaken up thoroughly with a tiny drop of household washing up liquid, using a plant spray, or other emptied mechanical spray bottle. Be generous with the spraying, and cover both sides of the film. This has reduced the occurrence of drying marks on my negs, and I'm now going to try hanging them to dry in a steamy bathroom, as recommended in the previous posts, its sounds like a sure fire winner for sparkly clean negs!!

Keep on trying, we'll get there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's another trick I learned overhearing a conversation at ICP while using a payphone.

If you hang the film vertically (assuming roll film), the liquid flows down the film taking any dust particles with it. The film dries faster at the top. The top end may end up with less dust than toward the bottom, and may be more likely to be free of water spots, mineral deposits, etc.

If, instead, the film is clipped both at the top and at the bottom and stretched at a 45º angle (with its plane at the vertical, of course) the liquid will flow downward to the edge, then flow down the edge until either dripping off or drying. The film will dry at a more uniform rate, and quite a bit faster. Dust will tend to be carried to the edge and removed, not just carried to a lower location on the roll where it sticks in the gelatin when the film dries.

Of course, the downside of this is that it takes up a lot more room.

mps

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought an inexpensive zippered plastic clothes bag that I hang in my laundry room and put an air filter in the bottom along with a safe bulb(cut a few small holes in botton and small one up top). I turn on the light as I am processing my film to get in warm and then hang my film in it. I usually turn the light off and let it hang overnight. It obviously dries faster with the light on. My negs are always dust free. I will have to try the trick of spraying with the distilled water mix as I occasionally have water marks athe the bottom of the negs.

I can post pics if you'd like but I bet you can find them if you do a search.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I rarely use photoflow... I leave the negs on the reel and dry in a heated blower (I have 2, one homemade, and both work fine).. In ten minutes the reel is pulled out of the heated drier... Now, I don't get water spots because the reel is on its side, and gravity and the airblast pull droplets down to the edge of the film before they can dry and leave a spot.... Works for me...

denny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin