Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,804   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neutrinos will pass through film and our bodies with little to no harm. Its the bigger klunkers with more energy that do the damage.

PE

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cosmic radiation increases with altitude. So it's really mostly a problem if you live in La Paz, Bolivia; or if you tend to carry film with you on intercontinental flights.

Terrestrial background radiation varies with location, and there are places where I would not like to live. There's also a very small component from radioactive Potassium in our bodies and in the film itself!

So since there's very little you can do about "ambient radiation" (except if you live on uranium-rich ground), it's best not to worry about it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be more concerned about radon in the basement. Film has survived one week on the moon with no bad effects. It has survived days in orbit as well.

PE

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would be more concerned about radon in the basement. Film has survived one week on the moon with no bad effects. It has survived days in orbit as well.

PE
    Precisely. And that's the only time you can really do anything about ambient radiation: If you live on uranium-rich ground, have your basement checked for Radon buildup. Alpha particles from radon won't penetrate your skin, but if you inhale the gas the alpha particles will be released inside your body where they can do maximum harm.

I used to work with radioactive sources whose activity was measured in Gigabequerel. Even that can be done safely (and without fogging film) if you know what you are doing and the correct procedures are followed.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well thank you all for your 'over & above' responses. I always know I can count on Apuggers for answers to my questions. When I put my old Cooke-Telar barrel lens in the same camera bag with my loaded film holders, and then read the words 'ambient' & 'radiation', and foma film has higher density, I didn't know what to think. I started reading all sorts of things.

So thanks guys!
    Dorothy

Shooter
    35mm
    As I recall, the higher energy particles go right through the earth . . a lead hat isn't going to help ;o)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    Over time the radiation will reduce the contrast of your film and paper.

So I can blame ambient radiation for the reduction in contrast of my thinking as well? I knew I should have started wearing an aluminum foil hat years ago!
    A thin lead-foil hat would offer more protection.

FYI - I usually blame the wife's gray cat.

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    As I recall, the higher energy particles go right through the earth . . a lead hat isn't going to help ;o)
    Most high energy particles are slow klunkers that are either stopped or broken up by the atmosphere. They do not penetrate the earth to any great depth and do the most damage to film. They are stopped by enough lead.

Neutrinos are fast particles that pass through the earth. They are believed to be weightless (or massless) and travel at the speed of light.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ionizing radiation is the principal concern, since the development process is of course based on redox. Neutrals (like the neutrinos) have very low cross sections in general, although of course neutrons do have a high cross section for interaction with protons and can also decay down.

What really annoys me are the neutral kaons. I am quite certain that somebody is directing a beam of them at my brain lately, causing me to think strange thoughts.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From what I understand, the magnetic poles which shields us to whatever degree from radiation, including solar radiation, is undergoing a shift. This is the changing of the magnetic poles. As the magnetic pole fields change (actually move) they weaken and allow more radiation to hit the earth. This from what I understand will increase skin cancers and have other effects on such things are crops. Of course this will take quite a long time before it is completed, but in the meantime it effects are starting to manifest. Apparently the changing of the poles is in combination with the rotation of the earth changing and the expected slight tilt. There is a documentary that was made on the subject and aired on the public broadcasting stations last year. If you want to read up on the subject do a search on "earth changing poles" of the like.
    W.A. Crider

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin