Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,472   Online: 966

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Kelly View Post
    Another thought is - do you use detergent (Photoflo) at the end of your cycle? I have heard that some sticks to the plastic spiral and binds the works up.

Goood luck
    Murray
    That is what I have read often too. It is recommented that part of process to be made with film out of the reels in separate tray/tank/container/bowl whatever...

One of mine Jobo reels started to make problems too some time ago. I never used reel loading with finger left/right pressing procedure (you know, press with left finger on side of reel, than press with right finger, and repeat that untill film is loaded) before that. So, I stated with that and have no problems anymore.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a few of these AP plastic reels. Honestly, I can't see how it can be bent out of shape. Maybe if you put it into really hot water, it might. Perhaps if you threw it up against a wall, you might damage it. If you step on it, it will likely fracture. Other than an extremely violent insult, there's not much that can hurt these things. OK, well maybe the ball bearing is shot. That's easy enough to check. But anyway, these reels are cheap and cost only a few bucks more than a roll of film. Don't waste the film. Just get a replacement and be done with it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Before smashing it with a ball peen hammer, and if you have checked the little metal balls for free movement, I would suggest giving ithe coils on each side a thorough scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush--I use a small round brush on a wooden handle purchased at a kitchen supply store-- and a mild cleanser such as Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend, then a thorough rinsing and drying. Even better than those is the Bon Ami Cake, which contains some tallow, I am told. The old lab rats who taught me used the cake to clean the ferrotype tins. The trouble is finding the Bon Ami Cake any more.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An update on this. I gave the reel a good scrub with a toothbrush and some soap for washing clothes, and now it loads like a champ! I was indeed putting the reel in photoflo, I won't be doing that anymore!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    An update on this. I gave the reel a good scrub with a toothbrush and some soap for washing clothes, and now it loads like a champ! I was indeed putting the reel in photoflo, I won't be doing that anymore!
    How 'bout the dishwasher? And why not use photoflow and just rinse the reel off. Of course if you dry on the reel, maybe it won't rinse off. I rinse mine and never have had a problem.

Photoflow dried on the reels also gets the blame for raising the developer pH when the stuff dried on the reel dissolves in the developer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin