Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,089   Online: 746

Rodinal minimal agitation and stand development

Attachment shows positives from 0.1 in squares of Tri-X negative (photos of a gray card on a black card) developed in Rodinal:
    1:100 minimal agitation 27 min 68F agitate every 3 min.
    1:200 stand 90 min 68F
    The edge effects,visible as a lighter line on the gray side of the gray/black border, are less for minimal agitation but the grain is also smaller and ,of course, the problems with streaks at the ege of the film (can't see that here) are less.
    I guess different people with different developers and tanks have different preferences for this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stand vs minimal agitation copy-1.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Allen. Great experiment. Actually, looking at the thumbnails above, instead of the full images, you can really see the edge effects. It almost looks like a white line marking the gray/black divide. Closer inspections of the full images also shows that the black side is blacker closest to the gray/black boundary.

I have wondered about the existence of a darker line on the dark side of the positive(it's called a fringe effect) ever since I read Dr R Henry's book 'Controls in Black and White Photography' He said '..dozens of plots failed to show any fringe effects' (p214).This is when no pre-exposure is made.Perhaps my black card wasn't all that black.
    I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Alan Johnson; 06-03-2008 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    '(Dr. Henry)..dozens of plots failed to show any fringe effects'

Henry's book is very good, but it is flawed.

He used D-76 to test FX, which will fail to produce FX unless diluted beyond its usefulness.
    Had he tried Rodinal, or drew upon any of Crawley's work, he would have had different results.

Minimal agitation is very useful for inducing FX.
    However, the most valuable outcome is the ability to alter
    the relationship of the highlights and the shadows, relative to the midtones.
    In effect, you can give N- develop to the highlights while maintaining midtone placement,
    shadow placement, local contrast and full ISO speed.

My tests and observation over 40 years suggest
    that 10 minutes rest periods is the maximum time to can
    consistently process 35mm and expect even density.
    For 120, 5 minutes, and for 4x5, it depends on how you process.
    5 minute cycles seems to be optimum, balancing FX, tonal control, and safety.
    Last edited by df cardwell; 06-03-2008 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin