Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 753

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, and forget about N+/N- dev - it's a fixed contrast dev.

Jorge O

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Hans, I buy my chamicals from VWR International. Their general home page is http://www.vwr.com, which leads to a lot of national home pages. They have the most user-unfriendly of all search engines, but you will eventually find nearly everything there.
    Ole, THANK you for this information!! I just wandered through the site and it is amazing!!

I was a little skeptical about a European company ... usually the shipping costs are prohibitive ... but VWR has offices and *distribution* centers all over the place, including here is the U.S.A.

Someone here was searching for "Digital Thermometers" ... they have an extensive selection ... and I'm looking at prices of US$23, or so...

I've bookmarked this site... Hopefully they will prove to be a valuable resource.

Their search engine appears to be OK to me ... have they changed it?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    VWR, Sigma/Aldrich, and Fisher Scientific are all good science companies. We order from them all here at my job. Prices for chemicals tend to be a bit higher, which may be because they are laboratory grade. But I don't think there is a chemical they don't carry. Also, if you have deep pockets they have some great laboratory equipment that makes for a very streamlined darkroom.
    RL Foley

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At least in Norway, there's usually a choise between ultrapure chemicals in miniscule quantities - or 50kg technical grade. Quite often the price is the same as well...

I have been unable to find Glycin, Amidol, or ammonium ferrioxalate. I have found just about everything else. The search is a lot easier if you have a CAS number. Some developing agents can be nearly impossible to find (e.g. Phenidone), others are easiest through the structural formula search (e.g. Pyrocatechol). This will probably differ a bit between the various national sites.

I now have a 25kg-sack of Sodium Thiosulphate which should be enough for a while...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole:

Sigma carries Glycine....100g for $13.80.

No luck on the amidol and ammonium ferrioxalate.

They also have phenidone (1-phenyl-3-pyrazolidinone) in 'suitable photographic applications'. Its $18.25 for 25g and $35.55 for 100g.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just found the Amidol at Sigma as well.

Its $27.40 for 25g and $79 for 100g. It's listed under its scientific name (2,4-Diaminophenol dihydrochloride)
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Artcraft has Amidol for $51.00 in 100 gram quantity. Also $195.00 in one pound quantities. (www.artcraftchemicals.com). As I recall, I think that Aggie or someone on the west coast mentioned a really favorable price from a supplier in that area.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know import duties over there - but phenidone is much cheaper in Canada (and they have very reasonable shipping rates).
    See:

http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/index.htm

Jorge O

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grab a copy of The Film Developing Cookbook by Steve Anchell & Bill Troop-lots of info in there on 2 bath devs-thoroughly recommended !

BD

According to Minor White/Zakia/Lorenz in Zone System Manual: "Compaction development by two-solution method can no longer be recommended for modern thin emulsion films, because they don't absorb sufficient developer solution to continue developing in the second bath."
    Any experiences about that?
    sergio caetano

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin