Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,448   Posts: 1,643,514   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thinking of standardizing my B&W film developing on a two bath soup. There are some great advantages such as: standard dev. time, non critical temperature etc. Anybody here got some advice or want to share experiences?

Thanks

Hans

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check out Ed Buffaloe's site, www.unblinkingeye.com for an article Ed and I put together on the two part version of D-23. Time, temp and other information for sheet film developing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use homemade Diafine for pushing TX to 1200~1600.
    Not the best dev around, but the best for it.

I'm uploading to the thechnical gallery a photo of my son using flash, TX and HM Diafine, if you care to take a look.

Jorge O

I changed to two bath developers about two years ago and have no regrets.
    I get constant good results with Delta 100/ Delta 400 and Fuji acros 100.
    Ialso sometimes use Ilford DDX for Delta 400

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I mix my own and use it for almost all my 35mm and much of my 6x6 work. Part A is 1 Ltr water, 85g Sodium Sulfite and 6.25g Metol. Part B is 12g of Sodium Metaborate in 1 Ltr water. Time and temp are not very critical. About 4 minutes in each - keep it below 80F and you can dump it all after 12 rolls or just replace Part B with fresh. It gives grain similar to D76 1:1 and is N or slightly N-. Great contrast control. -Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My "Bridge" photo was developed in "divided D23" - really D23 with a borax afterbath. I gave that one 3+3 minutes, since I wanted contraction and compensation for the 17 steps contrast range...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks you all for your replies. One thing, though, still puzzles me: on the Diafine box it says that dev.times are not critical. So how is it possible to do N/N- development?

As I'm thinking of mixing my own soups, does anybody know a place in Europe that sells photo chemicals? Here in Holland I can't find a company that can deliver them.

Hans

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    does anybody know a place in Europe that sells photo chemicals?

If you include UK as part of Europe (???), I would have thought Silverprint in London would be able to help. If you refer to mainland Europe. What about Wolfgang Moersch in Germany ?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    As I'm thinking of mixing my own soups, does anybody know a place in Europe that sells photo chemicals? Here in Holland I can't find a company that can deliver them.
    Hans, I buy my chamicals from VWR International. Their general home page is http://www.vwr.com, which leads to a lot of national home pages. They have the most user-unfriendly of all search engines, but you will eventually find nearly everything there.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Hans

Diafine has two solutions - A and B.
    Sol. A is the developer and is slightly acid, so there's (almost) no development going on in it (this is very true at 20 C).
    Sol B is alkali+sulphite, and that's where all the development takes place.

Myths and Facts:

Diafine IS temperature dependent (not much, but contrast and grain increases with temp. I use it at 20 C).
    Some films are way overated (PX @400 - I did not like it).
    It's an extremelly compensating dev - so if it's a low contrast scene, neg will be flat.

But TX @1200~1600 gives very good night, artificial light and flash photos (high contrast scenes).
    HP5+ @800 wasn't bad, also.

If you care, I can post the formula I'm using.

Jorge O

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin