Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,429   Online: 944

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pat Gainers' got it right... use electrical tape.

Nothing else works as reliably. It's relativly thin, conforms to the spool nicely, and will ...not... let go.
    It's a complete "repair kit in a roll". Tons of other uses for the photographer. Toss a roll in your photo bag...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem isn't the cassettes, it's the tape! I use both the take-apart/reloadable cassettes from Kodak & Kalt and the ones I get from the mini-lab that hold "regular" rolls of film. However, I use GOOD masking tape and have been for 30 years and never a problem. One time I did used the cheap tape and had problems. As soon as I went back to good tape, end of problem.

Two handy things you can take along with you (space and weight permitting); a black/opaque film canister and a changing bag. The changing bag is obvious and the cansiter is to put the film from the camera into.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm...does anybody sell the Ilford-type spools with the slot-and-post attachment? With all the companies making decorative paper punches for scrapbooking, I'd think one of them could make a die to cut the end of the film to the right shape for that spool.

Images
    Mike,

Scotch, among others I bet, makes masking tape in different grades of adhesion. For the purpose of securing 35mm film to the spool, I can recommend Scotch #2020 High Adhesion. It is plenty tenacious for the task.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I understand correctly you are re-using cassettes by taping the film to the tail end of the original film sticking out of the cassette. See if your local lab will sell you some splicing tape as used to attach film to the leader card in roller process machines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowcat View Post
    If I understand correctly you are re-using cassettes by taping the film to the tail end of the original film sticking out of the cassette. See if your local lab will sell you some splicing tape as used to attach film to the leader card in roller process machines.
    Yes, this is good tape as well. You still have to put it on both sides of the film, tho'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gaffer tape. Best tape ever. Strong bond, easily removable, tearable by hand, reusable...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all!
    Pentaxuser & Nick are correct.I reuse film cassettes that I get from my local photo store because sometimes I use a DX reading camera.I shall have to look into getting some good quality masking tape.The stuff I used was el-crappo.
    I did get a bit of film splicing tape from the tec. at Harvey Studio's which I will try tonight.

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Howdy,

I bought a 2" wide roll of the blue masking tape at the local Home Depot/Lowe's paint department and cut a 1/2" wide strip x 2" and use that to fasten the bulk film to the short tail on the cassettes that I get from the local grocery store processor. Never had a failure and it is easy to peel off (leaves no residue) once I have the film loaded on the reel for processing (I don't rewind all the way when I finished exposing and re-use the cassette). I marry the two ends together on the back and then fold over to the emulsion side. The roll has lasted for years.

Been doing that for almost 5 years with zero failures.

Fred
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 06-04-2008 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowcat View Post

Thanks. That sounds ideal. I had forgotten about splicing tape which was designed to be invisible so thin, but very strong and hadn't realised that a mini-lab might have some. I thought it was a cine/movie tape only.

It seem to me that a regular supply of used cassettes from a mini-lab, used once and thrown away with splicing tape is the best of all worlds. No need to worry about when the re-usable cassettes velvet lips start to wear out, nor whether the re-usable ones will retain their free running qualities.

The ones I use from Jessops are OK but cause my auto windback motor to labour more than the factory ones.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin