Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,451   Online: 1040

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    What is the width of the tape? One inch wide tape obviously has 1/3 more strength and stickiness than 3/4 inch, the most common.

I use packaging tape, the kind with fiberglass in it. It can't be broken and the adhesive is very strong but not gooey.

Of course, taping new film to an old film "trailer" is nowhere near as reliable as taping the film, over the core, and then again on the film's other side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried out "splicing tape" last night and it does the trick.Actually loaded 2 cassettes with old film and froze both then heated one in the oven to 100c and let the other warm to room temp.Used my ole'Nikkormat beater as a camera and neither spool became detached.
    Just purchased a roll from the photo department at Harvey Studio's.($6.00)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I tried out "splicing tape" last night and it does the trick.Actually loaded 2 cassettes with old film and froze both then heated one in the oven to 100c and let the other warm to room temp.Used my ole'Nikkormat beater as a camera and neither spool became detached.
    Just purchased a roll from the photo department at Harvey Studio's.($6.00)
    Good test.

I especially liked your (!!) heat portion. Some adhesives get real gooey, like electricians tape.

Images

Boiling tape.

Now why would one boil one's camera before using it? I guess for the same reason one boils electrical connections.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops! Yes,a 100c camera would be a little too hot to handle.Oven set to 100F to replicate the hottest summer weather around here.

Images

Sticky Tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Oops! Yes,a 100c camera would be a little too hot to handle.Oven set to 100F to replicate the hottest summer weather around here.
    I sorta thought that was it, hence the grin.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As has been said before, masking tape comes in a number of forms and qualities. In general, it is neither strong nor very adhesive. There are no doubt exceptions, depending on brand and type. The film manufacturers use a very special plastic tape with a very aggressive adhesive. You can probably find something equivalent at the local store. I have used electrical tape for years without a problem. It is strong, but the adhesive is fairly weak - you have to be careful to attach it properly to the reel and the film. Gaffer tape sounds like a good idea - fairly thin, strong, good adhesive. In any case, be sure the tape is well attached to the film base.

Images
    I think "gaffer" tape is what we in the vicinity of Newport News used to call "shipyard tape", for the same reason we called those cheap black ball-point pens "Government pens." I would start the day with a pen in my shirt pocket, and some merchant would wind up with it after I signed a check. Langley Research Center of NACA was not far from the shipyard.

You could tear the tape cross- or lengthwise in a nice straight line if your fingernails were in good shape, but its tensile strength was quite high. It usually came in 2" width.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Note that if you are using any film which will be run through an automated processor - not likely, but it can still happen - use ONLY masking tape, or the machine's blades can't cut it. If you do have any of the film processed automatically (e.g. an Ilford b/w processor), tell the store so they can remove the film from the cassette and put it in a processor cassette.
    Roger Christian

Those who know what they are doing shoot film. Others shoot digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And then there are labs that don't want masking tape; glogs up the machinery. Best check with the lab if one is being used.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin