Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,363   Online: 1056

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, finished the second batch and the problem is still there. I'm really dissapointed as to I don't know what to change with the next session. Berlin is in one and a half week and I'm not really looking forward "screwing up" the rest of the films too.
    I'll post an example pic, don't take the photo seriously as the negs are underexposed due to a failed experiment....

I dilluted the developer with demi-water this time. Treated them in a room with hardly any light. Agitated continuously the entire first minute as I forget the first 10 seconds and after that 5 every 30. Kept the dillution 1+4 as I expected my negs to be underexposed in order to compensate a little.
    No stop used again as advised on the datasheet, which I'm gonna do next time as that's the only thing I normally do and didn't do now.
    Dilluted the fixer 2x more than normal.
    I'm really clueless and sad my experiment failed.

I just sent Rollei an email to see if they can help me out. I really hope so. I would like to get this film to work properly as it does look really promising.
    Last edited by Contrastique; 06-11-2008 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

It's strange,you seem to be following the instructions and these are pretty similar to tech pan in technidol,see under processing here:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...255/p255.jhtml
    All I can suggest while waiting to hear from Rollei is to try continuous agitation for the entire time,inverting the tank every 10s. Works for me with Copex Rapid in H&W Control.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I must say it's disturbing that you can't get any help from the supplier.
    It 'does' look like a phenidone thing and the advice to agitate more frequently makes sense - but then, why don't they say so?

Most strange.
    Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Kelly View Post
    I must say it's disturbing that you can't get any help from the supplier.
    It 'does' look like a phenidone thing and the advice to agitate more frequently makes sense - but then, why don't they say so?

Most strange.
    Murray
    Who do you mean by supplier?

I emailed Hans from Rollei and he said I should send him some negatives so he could take a look for himself. He said the last films were developed according to the guidelines...so..I'm still not sure what went wrong. I agitated a whole lot more than the first time so I'm really wondering if that was the problem in the first case...He replied real quickly though. Sent the mail at night and the next morning I got an email back. At least that's good
    I hope that monday I will get around to sending him the negatives and I'll just take it from there.
    I'll take the ATP to Berlin but will develop them in HC110. That way I know I'll get good negatives.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, Rollei kind of confuses me. I'll post the letter I sent them last week and the email I got from them, I assume responding to that letter as I haven't mentioned the HC110 to them before.

My letter:

"Dear sir / madame,

I recently sent you an email about my problems with the developing of the ATP-V1 film in the Rollei RLC developer.You asked me to send some negatives to you so you could have a look for yourself. They are included with this letter.

The issue that occured is that the films look "solarized" especially in the unsharp parts. People I talked to about it on APUG mentioned it could be a side effect of Phenidone when agitated too little. I could not find any information on whether this specific chemical is in the developer or not. I tried to rule that out by agitating more the second development, with no succes.

I'll describe as good as I can what exactly I did.

Filmstrip 1:
    Shot with the Nikon F100 with a Sigma 24-70 f2.8. Treated as a 40 ASA film.
    Developed in RLC for 6 minutes, dillution 1+4. Developer mixed with normal water.
    Agitated 5 every 30 seconds.
    No stopbath used.
    Normal fixing dillution, Amaloco X89.
    Rinsed for more than half an hour.
    Agepon normal dillution.
    Temperature 20 degrees for all baths.

Filmstrip 2:
    Shot with Nikon F100 with a Sigma 24-70 f2.8. Treated as 32 ASA film.
    Treated in low-light conditions.
    Developed in RLC for 6 minutes, dillution 1+4. Developer mixed with demi-water.
    Agitated continuously the entire first minute, after that 5 every 30 seconds.
    No stopbath used.
    Fixer 2 times more dilluted as recommended on datasheet, Amaloco X89.
    Rinsed for more than half an hour.
    Agepon 3 times more dilluted as recommended on datasheet.
    Temperature 20 degrees for all baths.

The results of both films are the same concerning the "solarizing effect" although the second filmstrip is a bit underexposed.
    I also have to add that I had the same results with the Kodak Technical Pan in the RLC and that both the Kodak and ATP came out fine when developed in the Kodak HC110 so that makes me really think this problem has something to do with the developer or the way I used it.
    I really hope you can help me out as I really would like this developer to work properly because the film looks really promising.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thank you again in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Indra Moonen"

The email I got back:

"Hi Indra,
    the Rollei RLC developer is since more than 25 years at the market,
    special designed for high contrast films.
    The Kodak HC110 was never ever a special filmdeveloper to create lower grades for
    technical pan films. This is the Kodak Low Contrast Developer.
    I do not understand that you do not complete the informations to me.
    Hence, at moment I am not able to assist!

Best regards, Hartmuth"

I'm like WTF??? Is my letter that unclear?? If they can't provide me with a decent answer I'm really clueless...
    I already emailed them back telling them that the negatives that I sent them are developed in the RLC developer and the ONLY reason I mentioned the HC110 was that the OTHER ATP's developed in it came out fine. I'm really not sure what information is missing at this point..

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    FYI, the response came from Hartmuth Schröder, Head of Maco.

IMO Maco has still a long way to go regarding service for end-customers.

I suggest to contact Detlev Ludwig (Germany) at ludwig@gigabitfilm.de.
    First, he designs developers like this and second, he mentioned these problems ("Isohelie") during his investigations to improve high resolution photography. In fact he mentioned here that he found these artifacts when testing "his" film HDR (which is believed to be identical to ATP) with new developers. His conclusion was silver contamination of the tank.
    He might be very grateful to put his hand on your development tank for investigation.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanx for your reply.
    So that would mean the RLC developer is extremely sensitive for silver residues...that could be a plausible answer. I mean, my tank and spirals rinse along with the films for over half an hour and are thouroughly being dried but it could be I guess that there's still some silver left..I guess?
    It's the answer I can make the most of though.
    Have to search how I can clean my tank and spirals better then...I think I'm just gonna buy a new thank for these purposes and keep them seperated from the rest of the developers / films.
    Too bad it's all in germain, my germain sucks a little but thanx again for that link!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    It's not the developer that is sensitive to silver, it's the film. But I guess, the developer has some influence here.
    To clean the tank and spools from residual silver you can use bleach (e.g. farmers reducer) or blix from C41 / RA4 process.
    The silver contamination is not a problem with normal films and builds up during development. Washing or fixing does not remove this silver.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Curious as to why Fotohuis has not chimed in when it was his ATP-RLC examples that started this endeavor.

Fotohuis: "Restricted Access," what does that mean?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That would be odd.
    The Kodak TP and Rollei ATP both suffer from the "solarization" when developed in RLC but both not when being developed in the Kodak HC110...Same tank, same reels so that makes me think it's the developer or the way I used it.

I could try and wash the equip with bleach. I read somehere over here that normal household bleach should work as well..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin