Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,430   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Using Ilford Paper as a Negative

As still something of a newbie to LF...

It occurs to me I should be able to use Ilford Multigrade IV (or any other paper but I have quite a bit of 8x10 RB MG-IV lying around) as "film" in my large format cameras as long as all I want in the end is a 1:1 printing ratio. At least, it's a cheap way to practice and experiment as opposed to $1 a sheet for 4x5 film. And, I suppose, it gives me an easy way to use a 3x4 camera (or other odd size).

I assume I can cut the paper to size in my darkroom using a dim safelight and load the holders the same way. Any issues there?

What do I use as a speed for the paper when exposing in camera? Is ASA 6 a good starting point?

Do I need to filter in any special way, given that paper is not very sensitive to red light?

Thanks,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yup you can do this. Red safelight is fine. The paper will have low sensitivity (ISO 5 or so as I recall) and high contrast but you can combat this by preflashing about 3 stops below what your exposure will be. Preflashing will effectvely boost your sensitivity to maybe ISO 10-15 or so, it depends.

RC paper works best for this.

Just try it and you will quickly see what the issues are in terms of tonality and contrast. Not much you can do, filter-wise, to help that. But you can get tonally decent results this way and it is an inexpensive way to learn! It also fun to do easy pencil touchups on the back of a paper neg... so even if you don't do the primary shot on paper, keep this in mind. You can e.g. shoot to slide and enlarge to a paper negative....

It's wholesome fun for the whole family.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Done it before, not for LF, but in a small pinhole camera kit I got for christmas.

Print it out back to back with another sheet of paper or say sod it and scan it in on a flatbed and hit the negative button on Photoshop, gimp or Paint.net

And also carrying on from the pinhole experience, if you can get hold of some Ilfachrome (Cibachrome as was) and the chemicals you could try shooting direct to positive.
    (Though 4x5 sheet film might work out cheaper for that)
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Could you not use the Efke positive paper for this?

Been meaning to buy some and try, after reading another thread here on that product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you not use the Efke positive paper for this?
    Absolutely.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is what's called calotype, isn't it?
    I saw the show at the musée d'Orsay (after New York and Washington) last week and will try to experiment with the Efke/Adox paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is sometimes advised to developp in a FILM developper, in order to get a lower contrast. Does anyone know about this technique? Would HC1109 be fine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A starting ISO for Ilford MGIV in camera is 25. However, be warned that the high contrast will give odd results as well the variable contrast as a function of color. This will give variable contrast as a function of color.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    It is what's called calotype, isn't it?
    I saw the show at the musée d'Orsay (after New York and Washington) last week and will try to experiment with the Efke/Adox paper.
    Using B&W photo paper (Efke Positive, or the "regular stuff") is not a callotype (calotype).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calotype
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Would you agree if we called it 'modern calotype''?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin