Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lith Developer

ged

Shooter
    35mm
    I have tried 3 papers so far, always with Kodalith. For another choice, I have read that some people like the Moersch lith developer. Here is a link to a store in Toronto that sells it. Call them and see if they can send it down to the US:

http://www.eightelmphoto.com/paper.htm#moersch

Regarding papers that respond to lith, Ilford MGIV FB gives the most subtle results. It is probably a useful choice when you want to tame a very contrasty neg but don't want/need too obvious a lith effect.

Forte Polywarmtone FB (Variable Contrast) responds to lith more noticeably. Personally, I don't like the warmtone brownish-cast it has but others seem to like it.

My preference so far is for Luminos Classic (Warm tone) Fibre. I believe it is also known as Kentmere Kentona is the UK and Australia. This turns a colour that people have described variously as peachy/pinkish/reddish. However, a few of my friends have thought the prints were sepia toned. Of the three papers, this one is supposed to have the most interesting response to toning after development although I have yet to experiment with this.

For references, Tim Rudman's "The Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course" is an excellent and comprehensive guide. Les McLean wrote a superb 4 part series on lith printing in Black & White Photography magazine. In February 2003 (part 2 of the series) he discusses different papers.

I will try to upload a few photos to my personal gallery shortly so you can see what the papers look like when developed in lith. I don't have any scans of the Forte Polywarmtone though. If you have any other questions about lith printing, feel free to contact me and I'll try to help.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The developer i am talking about is in power form. two packages . B% H shipped it several weeks ago with no problems. I had no idea it came in a liquid form.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be ordering some Kodalith and Luminos Classic in the next week, so we'll see how things turn out. :-)
    RL Foley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin