Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,376   Online: 1106

Shooter
    35mm RF

HC-110 Dil B working solution lasts how long?

Hi,

I've been using working solution of HC 110 Dil B the same day I mix it. Can it last longer? That way I could mix more in one shot and save time. Can I refrigerate it?

Shooter
    Medium Format

HC-110 working dilutions shelf life

Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    Hi,

I've been using working solution of HC 110 Dil B the same day I mix it. Can it last longer? That way I could mix more in one shot and save time. Can I refrigerate it?
    I use HC-110 Dil B and H next day, but Kodak says somewhere it can be stored (diluted) much longer before use, even in just partially filled bottle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I make up the stock solution - and then store it in several quart bottles. That way, the only bottle that I open is the one bottle that I am currently 'working on' - the remainder stay full and tightly close until I need to use them. That way, the stock solution lasts a very long time. In fact, I don't recall every having any stock solution go bad.

Then, I dilute it to dilution B (or dilution H) just before using it. I have a graduate that I have permanently marked with the volume required to make up 200 and 400 ml quantities of the working solution so that all I have to do is fill the graduate to the line, and then add water. It actually takes far longer to get water to my desired processing temperature than it does to mix the working solution.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the data sheet - check under "Storage Life":

http://wwwca.kodak.com/global/en/pro...2.14&lc=en#005

This suggests the answer for dilution B is up to one month storage life in a half filled, tightly closed bottle, but note the caution about temperatures.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

Matt

P.S. The Kodak website is chock full of this sort of stuff, and with a few exceptions it is quite easy to find information. One interesting point to understand, however, is that almost all the film related information is under Professional Products, rather than Consumer Products.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ok wait, I don't mean the "stock" solution .. I mean Dilution B itself, ready to develop. How long will that last?

Matt et al thanks!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I store mine up to a month in working solution (1:31) in brown plastic gallon jugs and have no probs.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    Hi,

I use HC-110 1:50 (that usually covers all the film in my tank), mix it fresh every time, and only use 1-shot.

Even if I have just a couple rolls of film, same thing: 1:50 mixed fresh, used once.

No need to worry about varying quality issues.

Rolleijoe
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the answers I'm seeing, I guess Dil B is probably good for at least a few hours even in an open tray? (Too bad; the need to use up the chemistry RIGHT NOW before it dies is one of my best rationalisations for extending my time in the darkroom in the face of allegedly more pressing duties like going to work, feeding the baby, and such... :-)

-NT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Be aware that the solution may go bad, not because it's not fresh but because it's exhausted...
    Take a look at the number of 8x10 equivalent a liter of HC110 dil B can process and divide that figure by two for dil. H. It is quite low figure...
    When I have to process a few sheets at N and some other f ew at say N+1 and N-1 I reuse the HC110 but I process them in the same session, so the time between the mix and the final dump to sewer is about one or two hours, but I double check to see if the solution is not exhausted by counting the number of film sheet it has processed. HC110 is not so costly you have to save it...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin