Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,367   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Suggestions for a local source for ascorbic acid?

I just got my Artcraft order and realized I forgot to order my ascorbic acid. What sort of vendors might I check with locally for it? Can I just grind up vitamin c tablets or are they adulterated with things I'd want to avoid?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I just got my Artcraft order and realized I forgot to order my ascorbic acid. What sort of vendors might I check with locally for it? Can I just grind up vitamin c tablets or are they adulterated with things I'd want to avoid?
    I found it at a good price at a local vitamin store. Pretty expensive at General Nutrition.

Seven dollars for, uh, um, a half pound?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Health food stores, probably...but you might also check with your local drug store/pharmastist.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are many kinds of Vit. C. I would do a thorough search hear before grinding up Vit. C tablets. Pat Gainer is a frequent user of "Vit. C" devs and can tell you more than I can, and while those tablets that you swallow for your health may "work", you may not be devving your film to its greatest potential.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Now Foods http://www.nowfoods.com 100% USP ascorbic acid powder. About $12 for 1lb, $25/3lb, search on Amazon. The company has wide retail distribution, but not all stores may carry it.

Tablets will contain a whole lot of other stuff. The other stuff may or may not get in the way: at a minimum figure cellulose, gums, sugars, starches, talc, silicon and or titanium oxide, glycol, coloring, and eye of newt.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I'll call the pharmacy, the health food store and GNC.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Images
    That's about it. You can add www.chemistrystore.com to your list of reliable and quick suppliers of most things we use. If erythorbic acid is cheaper, you can use it in place of ascorbic in developers, but not as vitamin. It is d-ascorbic axid, the mirror image (isomer) of the vitamin l-ascorbic acid. Kodak uses it in XTOL. Also called Isoascorbic acid.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try the food aisles of your local grocery store or supermarket. Vitamin C is used for baking bread and for bottling and preserving. Here it is sold both with the flour-and-bakery goods, and among the packets of spices and bicarb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great tips folks, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While you can use Vit. C for developing, it may leave a precipitate. This leads me to believe that by not dissolving completely, your dev isn't as efficient as it could be.

Go with Pat Gainer's suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin