Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,946   Online: 1207

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak BW400CN negative longevity

Hello all,
    Anyone have any idea how long Kodak BW400CN negatives last before degradation sets in?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hell, How long is a piece of string?

I would say that as it uses the same technology set as C41 colour print film, it would be fairer to compare it to that, than to a traditional B&W film like Tri-X
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    Hell, How long is a piece of string?

I would say that as it uses the same technology set as C41 colour print film, it would be fairer to compare it to that, than to a traditional B&W film like Tri-X
    But there is a difference. With color negs we also have color shifts, all three dyes being different in their rates of degradation.

In C-41 B&W this isn't an issue, of course. As a guess, and it is only that, the negative might fade, but I don't even know if that is the case.

PE?

100 to 120 years. It may lose some density in that time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    100 to 120 years. It may lose some density in that time.
    Tom
    Did you make that up or have research/facts to back that up?
    Michael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin