Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,554   Posts: 1,646,456   Online: 842

Shooter
    35mm RF

Kodak Vs. Digital Truth: Tri-x Dev Time Discrepancy

Hi,

How come on Kodak's website it says Tri X 400 develops after 4.5 minutes in HC-110 Dilution B but Digital Truth says 7.5 minutes?

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Different exposure indices, different agitation, different versions of Tri-X, condenser or diffusion enlarger, different water, different temperatures... a lot of factors come in to play. There are 6 different suggestions for time, EI, and versions of Tri-X on digitaltruth. Pick one and see where it takes you, then home in on your own time.

Lee

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    several years ago when kodak up graded and changed trix the numbers changed and at that time there was a great out cry as to the change in time.

the out come was the thought, it was an error and some even go so far as to say, they talk to kodak and some where there agreed ,but the 4.5 stayed.

(note all the someone's and do what you like)

the upstart, most people that i am aware of stayed with their tested times and disregarded the shorter suggestion.

also, i would second lee's statement as in our lab we use between 6 to 6.5 minutes with that developer and ratio. negatives are great unless there is a user error.
    Last edited by ann; 06-12-2008 at 08:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correcting typs
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most irritating flaw in the concept of 'digital truth' is lack of source data.
    No intention, no explanatory information whatsoever.
    With no accountability for its data,
    The Massive Chart is Babel-Like in its potential for chaos.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Like others already said, you have to adjust the exact time to your own procedures and equipment, that said, 7.5 min dil B @EI400 works well for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital truth is a wonderful resource when comparing developing time with different developers. I have found though with some old favourites (Tri-x in HC110 being a good example) I tend to look around at a few sites to get a rough idea.

I have in the past got good results at 6 min 30 seconds at 20 c.

I have found the D76 1+1 time of 9.75 min to be spot on for Tri-x 400 as outlined in Kodak's tech pub. on the film.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, I always compare with Unblinkingeye if there's a question.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I have found the D76 1+1 time of 9.75 min to be spot on for Tri-x 400 as outlined in Kodak's tech pub. on the film.
    that┤s a long time to sit there inverting every minute.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    try semi stand development at 23 minutes now that is a long time

the reality is we all need to do what is necessary to make fine negatives. the better the negative the easier the printing.

after all it is only a number.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin