Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,400   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Large Format

400 TMY-2 Processing/Suggestions

My advice has always been to test a film before hitting the road. Unfortunately, I did not have time, and have returned with a few rolls (120) of 400 TMY-2 to process. I will of course, process a few test rolls, but would appreciate any feedback from those who have shot this film and are pleased with the results. I have used Rodinal for the past 30 years but am not sure that it would be a good choice for this film.

As always, thanks in advance to the sages that frequent this forum.

Also, any thoughts on 400TX would be appreciated.

mergross.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you were happy with Rodinal before then you'll find it's fine with the new Tmax. The films changes are subtle not enough to significantly affect processing.

I've been using Pyrocat HD with both the old & new TMY, but would be equally happy to use Xtol. Can't make suggestions for TriX it's got to be over30 years since I last used it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just processed my first roll of tmy-2 120 rated at 400 yesterday and made 11x14 prints today with a omega dichroic head. I went with 8 minutes at 68 deg. in tmax developer, agitation constant first minute then 1 flip every 30 seconds. I just looked up kodak's recommended time and it's 6 3/4 minutes. The results are quite impressive. I have been using tri-x with tmax developer and grain is apparent in 8x10 enlargments. The tmy-2 is sharp and grain isn't very apparent in 11x14's. Try tmax developer with the tri-x too, i think it's an overlooked developer.
    I may switch to tmy-2 for my all purpose 120 film.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use the TMY data as a starting point. Rodinal is great with this stuff.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I found that using XTOL 1:1 worked very well for TMY-2 rated at 400

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the recommendation for Xtol, either straight or 1+1. D76H looks great as well. Supposedly it also looks great in Diafine, but that wouldn't be my first choice.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've developed a few rolls (120) at EI 400 in Xtol 1:1 for 9 min. @ 68 degrees. Negs look good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    My advice has always been to test a film before hitting the road. Unfortunately, I did not have time, and have returned with a few rolls (120) of 400 TMY-2 to process. I will of course, process a few test rolls, but would appreciate any feedback from those who have shot this film and are pleased with the results. I have used Rodinal for the past 30 years but am not sure that it would be a good choice for this film.

As always, thanks in advance to the sages that frequent this forum.

Also, any thoughts on 400TX would be appreciated.

mergross.com
    I've just loaded up my 1st freebie roll of TMY-2 in the Mamiya M645Pro, and since I have a bottle of T-Max developer, will give that a try.

For Tri-X (my usual 400 film) there's nothing else like it.

Rodinal 1:50 will give you sharp accutance and in MF grain really isn't an issue.
    HC-110 1:50 will give overall smooth tonality, not as much accutance, and perhaps a bit more shadow detail.

My 2¢
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin