Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,317   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Kelly View Post
    Dorff, a link please. Can't find it. TIA

look up my thread with the attached excel calculation sheet

Murray
    I'll fill in for Dorff: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...alculator.html (I expect)

Just click on his name, go to his profile and click on the link for his most recent started threads.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    parodinal is interesting other thing, but this thread related to EZ-Rodinal and my question in post #18 about differences between two version of EZR is still open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal cannot be made from p-amino phenol hydrochloride, it has to be the free base. This can be made first from the hydrochloride. So the formula you quote is wrong.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    Hello

I was found two different formula for EZ-Rodinal

1st early version found here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...titutes-4.html

Start with 700 ml water at room temperature.
    Add 170 grams of anhydrous sodium sulfite, 14 grams sodium hydroxide, and stir till dissolved. Warming it a little won't hurt. Add 40 grams p-aminophenol (not the hydrochloride). It will not all dissolve. Add water to make 1 liter. When you transfer from the mixing vesel to storage, do not filter out the sediment. Use it like AGFA Rodinal.

2nd (latest) version from EZ-Rodinal article http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...z-rodinal.html

To 400 ml water, add:
    85 g anhydrous sodium sulfite.
    40 g p-aminophenol base.
    Stir well. Add
    13.8 g sodium hydroxide or 19.2 g potassium hydroxide.
    Add water to make 500 ml.

rewrite this formulas for 1l concentrate:

1st version
    Sodium sulfite 170g
    p-Aminophenol base 40g
    Sodium hydroxide 14g
    Water 1l

2nd version
    Sodium sulfite 170g
    p-Aminophenol base 80g
    Sodium hydroxide 27.6g
    Water 1l

easy to see that 2nd version have twice amount of p-Aminophenol. Compared to known Rodinal formula from http://www.digitaltruth.com/data/rodinal.php

p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride 50 g
    Potassium Metabisulfite 150 g
    Sodium Hydroxide 100 g
    Cold water to make 1L

while we mix all ingredient reaction describes next formulas

K2S2O5 + 2NaOH = K2SO3 + Na2SO3 + H2O
    C6H4OHNH2.HCl + 2NaOH = C6H4ONaNH2 + NaCl + 2H2O

MW(C6H4OHNH2.HCl)=145.59, so formula contains 50/145.59=0.343M of p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride. For PAP base MW(C6H4OHNH2)=109.13. and amount of base will be 109.13*0.343M=37.48g. This is near the 50g in 1st version of EZ-Rodinal.
    Amount of K2SO3+Na2SO3 is 1.35M. We need 1.35M*MW(Na2SO3)=1.35M*126.04=170g of Sodium sulfite. This is also same as in 1st version.

So my question - is the 2nd version of EZ-Rodinal correct?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Rodinal cannot be made from p-amino phenol hydrochloride, it has to be the free base. This can be made first from the hydrochloride. So the formula you quote is wrong.
    Ian, check again ))

C6H4OHNH2.HCl + NaOH = C6H4OHNH2 + NaCl + H2O
    C6H4OHNH2 + NaOH = C6H4ONaNH2 + H2O

so my formula is correct

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, check again ))

C6H4OHNH2.HCl + NaOH = C6H4OHNH2 + NaCl + H2O
    C6H4OHNH2 + NaOH = C6H4ONaNH2 + H2O

so my formula is correct

I repeat Rodinal does not contain p-aminophenol hydrochloride, so that's not the correct formula, it has no chloride of any form.

If you start with the Hydrochloride first you precipitate and collect the free base. There's many descriptions on how to do this in books.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I repeat Rodinal does not contain p-aminophenol hydrochloride, so that's not the correct formula, it has no chloride of any form.
    Rodinal contain only PAP.Na salt Sodium Aminophenolate with formula C6H4ONaNH2. But isn't important how we obtain it. From base or from HCl or H2SO4 salt.
    About NaCl. You can easy check that total amount of NaCl will be near 20g/l. When dilute rodinal 1:50 we have 20/50=0.4g/l NaCl in working solution. You sure that such amount of NaCl change property of developer?
    Last edited by Relayer; 05-04-2013 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes the presence of Chloride alters the developer slightly. Enough for Andressen to use the free base in Rodinal.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    This may be off topic but Mr Gainer experimented with adding table salt to Rodinal. I lack interest in mixing home brews but adding a little salt is simple if it produces a repeatable result to achieve a desired negative property. Hopefully Pat will add what he knows about salting Rodinal.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 05-04-2013 at 11:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes the presence of Chloride alters the developer slightly. Enough for Andressen to use the free base in Rodinal.
    less than 1g/l of NaCl isn't important, be sure. all my post and formulas is correct. but question is other - why we have two different formulas of EZ-Rodinal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    less than 1g/l of NaCl isn't important, be sure. all my post and formulas is correct. but question is other - why we have two different formulas of EZ-Rodinal

Andresen felt differently which is why Rodinal has no Chloride, it's enough to have a slight effect as these are equilibrium equations.

Agfa and Andressen make a point of stating Rodinal contains only the free base in his publications so any formula based on the hydrochloride is not the same as Rodinal.

Ian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin