Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,071   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Fixer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Fixer

before measuring and measuring again
    i figured i would ask here first

i just purchased a pouch of kodak fixer.
    does anyone know how many tsps i would need
    to mix as i go ?
    i dont' want to mix the whole gallon (?) at once
    because i will not have anyplace to store it once it is mixed,
    so i want to mix a litre at a time.

thanks in advance for your help

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You will want to keep the unused powder really dry, and there isn't all that much volume in the pouch, so you might consider getting some identical jars (such as half-pint canning jars with the rings and lids) and simply dividing up the power so that the level is the same in each jar--four, six, or however many portions you want to end up with. The concentration isn't all that critical (consider how much stop bath gets carried over into the fixer when printing, for example). LABEL THE JARS CLEARLY

Do be aware that handling the powder where film or paper will be handled is an invitation to spots and fingerprints (contamination prior to development) or bleached spots (contamination after processing). I mix my fixer in the kitchen, which washes down easily, rather than in the darkroom, for this reason.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pick up a six pack of right size bottled water and
    FILL. I'd give some little on total volume as that
    fixer used full strength is plenty thick. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks greybeard + dan

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Standard advice is usually not to mix less than full packaged amounts, since there are several different ingredients present and they may not have remained perfectly homogenously blended during transport. That said, I'm certain one could accomplish the blending manually if one set their mind to it.

Ken

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You could mix a quart of 4x concentrated fixer, then use a 1/4 of that, and mix up to a full quart again. You would then have to store 1/2 a gal instead of 1 gal.

I've not tried this, so I don't know if all that fix would disolve. The water may need to be quite warm for this to happen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Ken, but add the suggestion that if you want to use a powdered fixer, the raw ingredients to make them are readily available. This will allow you to mix precisely as much fixer as you want at any given time.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ken, geoff and jim

thanks for your suggestions.
    i think i will just mix the whole
    bag, i don't want to deal with problems down
    the road ... as for getting the raw ingredients ..
    i will be overseas and not able to find what i need
    all too easily, and i don't want to send raw supplies
    to myself through the postal system ...

thanks again for your help and suggestions!

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    While the point is well taken, I wouldn't worry too much about segregation of the ingredients in the dry form. The fixer looks as though it could have been mixed wet and then spray-dried to make a powder, in which case it would be perfectly homogenous. Years ago, I used to routinely weigh out Microdol-X, D-76, and Dektol, and never detected any behavior different from the bulk mix (this was when I used an 8-ounce tank for 35mm, and printed most of the images at either 2-1/2x3-1/2 or---for the really good pictures--3x5). Fixer I made up in quarts, dividing the powder by weight instead of volume, and never had any problems there, either.

Of course, if you are going to be traveling, it may be less problematic to pass a security checkpoint with a few quart bottles of evil-smelling fixer than some baggies of white powder...

Shooter
    35mm

Not rocket science

1. Measure the pouch in tablespoons. The whole enchilada is X tablespoons for one gallon. To make a quart, get out your calculators, divide by four.

2. The primary ingredient is sodium thiosulphate, "hypo." It does not go bad. I discovered a box of it, Kodak, in my father's garage last fall. It worked just fine. The grains were a bit less defined after, oh, 30-40 years of Florida heat and humidity, but the worked just fine.

3. This thing about not divvying up dry chemicals is out of logical bounds. Not just in photography, how do they mix powdered chemicals? Drop a bit of X and two drops of Y into your pouch for sealing? Of course not! They mix hundreds of pounds at a time in drum or other appropriate mixers and then weigh it out per retail unit. In other words, divide it up, just like you do when you take X tablespoons out of the pouch.

If the chemicals aren't crystalline, it's because they ran them through a roller crusher or industrial Cuisineart.

Divvy it up, have fun, don't worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin