Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,940   Online: 1185

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last batch of rebranded f4+ i picked up from freestyle was $1.79/roll just before they stopped carrying repacked ilford stuff. I just ran out and $3.79/roll hurts. I know, we're lucky to have film at all. I hope the prices don't discourage new photographers from trying ilford products.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm RF
    4.5% is peanuts compared to the 20% increase that Kodak announced.

Now that's going to hurt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    ... $3.79/roll hurts...
    Just look at European prices, and it won't hurt anymore. 3,79 USD is less than 3,75 EUROS. Not just Ilford, any photo price
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I'd feel much more confident if the guys who rescued Ilford were running the country...at least they've shown that they understand the real world.
    Now there's a thought!!!
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went to fill up my car sunday morning....I stopped at £ 70.00 ( $ 137.20 ) as my tears were diluting the petrol..... I now make it $ 10.52 per ( Imperial ) gallon...

Ouch

Simon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that's a fact of life, I paid £50 to fill my car this week-end (lasts about a week) another 20p on a roll of film is a price worth paying IMHO.
    I can only hope that film will always be there for those who want it, and Ilford have one of the best ranges of B&W film 50-3200ISO in 120.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon, out of interest. How much impact does the price of oil have with manufacturing Ilford products (ignoring distribution costs)? Presumably the bases for films are derived from oil products, but what else is affected?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Keeds,

Where do I start !! But I guess we are no different to any small or medium manufacturer in the developed World, energy is a very big cost for us, coating film and paper is expensive due to the fact you have to use large quantities of energy ( gas ) for chilled water ( 2 degrees ) for the setting beds ( you have to set the coating very quickly if you are coating at 100 + metres per minute ) then you have 17 drying boxes ( total 318 metres long ) each at a different temperature and humidity. Paper making itself is also highly energy rated so we have those costs for base and packaging.

We export over 90% of what we make, so shipping charges rise with the cost of oil ( We do not air freight as a company policy due to its high carbon impact on the environment ).

Everything else goes up as well....film base, the bags we put the paper in, all the raw materials everything at the moment, but apart from energy the biggest changes are currency and silver :

When the management bought the company in February 2005 the dollar was 1.67 to the pound its now 1.95silver was at a little over $ 6.00 per troy ounce its now $ 16.00+ and we buy silver by the tonne. The USA is obviously our biggest market.

As always, if you are a small to medium size business we have to ruthlessly control our costs and do everything possible to avoid large price increases, that we have done since the founding of HARMAN technology and we continue to do it, increasing prices, obviosly does have a significant effect on usage, we have to do it to remain profitable but we strive to keep any increases as small as possible.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    just keep the products comming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon, many thanks for your answer. It's easy for us consumers to just see the little box of film or paper in front of us and wonder where the money goes. It's a wonder you've managed to keep increases so low in the face of the current climate. Thanks for throwing a little light on it. (Figuratively and hopefully not literally!). I'm sure the tour would be very interesting indeed. Still not sure if I can make it, but will try to make room for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin