Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,870   Online: 1112

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DKT
    PE cored would be polyethylene--not Mylar which is polyester.
    "Mylar" is a trade name for Dacron, as "Lexan" is a trade name for Polycarbonate. Dacron is tough stuff - exteremely resistant to stretching - it is used extensively in racing sails. I've tried to cut it .. difficult, to say the least - and tearing it is, as far as I can tell, impossible.

Polycarbonate is interesting stuff - I nearly destroyed a heavy wooden bench demonstrating that rheological flow lines were *NOT* cracks - yet, if it comes in contact with chlorinated solvents it will disintergrate. Be careful with any solvents used for cleaning equipment with "lexan" windows.

It is true ... the bases of many films are actetate.... Konica IR 750 is described as "Triacetate" ... and Kodak is a great user or "Estar" - whatever that is. Acetate is used a lot in molded camera lenses, mirrors, and cheap ball point pen barrels.

Ilfocolor "De Luxe" - IL RA .1K has a "Super White Glossy Polyester" base.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    "Mylar" is a trade name for Dacron,
    Well ..., not quite. "Dacron is a trademark for a polyester fiber. Dacron is a condensation polymer obtained from ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. It's properties include high tensile strength, high resistance to stretching, both wet and dry, and good resistance to degredation by chemical bleaches and abrasion."

"Mylar" is closely related to Dacron - just how close, I'm not sure. It is a PET plastic, as is Dacron. Mylar apparently is a "dacron-related" plastic in a sheet form, as opposed to fibers.

BTW ... and as an antidote for "More than one would ever WANT to know" ... I found the article - "The Case for RC, Revisited - Updating the Controversy Surrounding B&W RC Printing Papers" - by Alfred A. Blaker, Camera and Darkroom, November 1991, p 36.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    "Mylar" is a trade name for Dacron,<<<
    It is true ... the bases of many films are actetate.... Konica IR 750 is described as "Triacetate" ... and Kodak is a great user or "Estar" - whatever that is. Acetate is used a lot in molded camera lenses, mirrors, and cheap ball point pen barrels.

Ilfocolor "De Luxe" - IL RA .1K has a "Super White Glossy Polyester" base.

I get the feeling somehow you're not reading this stuff--doesn't matter I guess...kinda boring stuff, not really photography in a way...more what archivists and others handle. Of which I'm not, nor am I a conservator, so like I said--read the stuff, form your own opinions these are mine only.

KT

edited for brevity since it doesn't matter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I get the feeling somehow you're not reading this stuff--doesn't matter I guess...Go to the IPI website & download the free "IPI Guide to Acetate Based Film Storage" and then get the free "Preservation Calculator" software--
    You are right ... I haven't been paying absolute attention .. and those last couple of messages did seem sort of "circular".

Recently, I went to lunch with a good friend ... who once had, and sold, his own advertising agency. He took one look at our waitress, and said to her, "You should be a model!! - And Ed here will do the photography." Didn't really give me much choice. I really didn't "see" the potential in this girl - but HE did.

I've had one session with her (her first) and the results were so encouraging that I'm now working on the film from the second. I am awestruck with this guy's "eye" ... possibly I can fine-tune mine to work as well. This girl has her pry-bar in the wall" ... My friend was, and IS STILL connected into the "High Fashion" area - and has given a number of photographers in the game their first start.

This is the first time this girl has posed sans clothes, so all processing will be done by me - and she will have "first view" and "first refusal" on all the images. That means I have a LOT of work to do ... and the only time I'll have to discuss and learn about the fine art of plastics will be the time waiting for the chemicals in the JOBO to temperature stabilize.

Oh, BTW ... I did a seach for "IPI" and came up with "Institute for Policy Innovation", "International Potash Institute", "International Protein Index" ... uh ..., could you be a tad more specific as to the address?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

I give the formulas for Kodak ST-1 and HT-2 in my article on Archival Processing at http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ar.../archival.html.

DKT

[quote="Ed SukachOh, BTW ... I did a seach for "IPI" and came up with "Institute for Policy Innovation", "International Potash Institute", "International Protein Index" ... uh ..., could you be a tad more specific as to the address?[/quote]

If you're not going to actually read any of this, but keep telling me I'm out to lunch , what does it really matter? here, knock yourself out:

http://www.rit.edu/~661www1/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [quote=DKT][quote="Ed SukachOh, BTW ... I did a seach for "IPI" and came up with ...[/quote]

If you're not going to actually read any of this, but keep telling me I'm out to lunch , what does it really matter? here, knock yourself out:..

I *DO NOT* think that you are "out to lunch"... I've known those who were "OTL" and believe me ... you are NOT one of them!!!
    Right now, I think *I* am.

Thanks for the expanded address. Will check it out ASAP.

I didn't say I wasn't going to read anything here - I only tried to offer some explanation of why my *writing* was so obtuse. I READ - that takes *much* less time than writing. I had to read what was written to ask for a more well-defined address.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

DKT

no offense, but sometimes I think alot of folks don't really give a hoot about this stuff, or different ideas about it--other than some generic concept. I can't get beyond an answer that's like shop-talk for me, or spinning off into the day-to-day/real-life type workings of a museum....I posted a month or two ago to that thread about print longevity--and put up links to an interactive on the IPI site, as well to Wilhelm's entire book which is available free as pdf's now. I linked to an admittedly technical, dry paper on inkjet issues as well and a website dealing with air pollution in archives and museums....why bother with this stuff, hell I doubt anyone ever looked at it because it's not a simple answer--maybe it would require some thought.

bye--KT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin