Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,762   Online: 1254

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fun with Xtol and Tri-x

I just mixed up five litres of Xtol and I plan to use it mostly with processing Tri-x.

I have been rating Tri-x @250 to 320 with D76/ID-11 with great results. Should I be rating around 320 to 400 ISO in Xtol?

Cheers

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check the Tri X data here: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf

AND, older data, very interesting dilution data, here: http://wwwfr.kodak.com/AT/plugins/ac...Entwickler.pdf

The possibilities are endless. Explore minimal agitation with 1+2 dilution.

The XTOL data is very good. This is great stuff, and - amazingly - underrated. Have fun.

The cool part is that XTOL yields even more shadow speed than D-76 by virtue of its efficiency, so you can create almost any curve you wish with the stuff, pushing the shadows up the scale while pulling down the highlights. Amazing, like carrying fill flash wherever you go.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Box speed is easy with Tri-X and XTOL. Like Mr Cardwell says, great stuff. D-76 is good stuff and was first used in the late 1920s. It would have to be to last as long as it has. XTOL is a better D-76.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info, I am going to have fun playing with this combination.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm EI320 @ 7' for XTOL 1+1 with 35mm Tri-X. Works just fine, fits on a 2-2.5 grade, and gorgeous tones.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    what is your agitation, like? would love to test trix at 320.

Up to now I love it rated at 800. nice tones, and a bit harsh. Looks just fine on baryt. Of course you would lose some shadow detail, but this is not a big issue for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Continuous for the first 30s, then 10s every minute.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Continuous for the first 30s, then 5s every 30s, as per Kodak's direction. One way or the other is fine. I figure Kodak has been around for a while and knows what they're doing. Why not take them up on their advice?
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tri-X in Xtol is very nice. I've used 35mm & 120.
    Box speed, Xtol 1:2 10.5 mins at 20 deg. Paterson tank agitate first 30 secs & then 10 secs every minute.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin