Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,085   Online: 916

Shooter
    Medium Format

phenidone "spoilage"?

Does phenidone "go bad" on the shelf? I have kept mine in the same plastic bottle in which the Formulary shipped it to me. It is a bit caked--the stuff has the consistency of powdered sugar, tends to cling to itself as if slightly "greasy", and I think is a a very pale yellow (not in front of me at present.)

Reason I ask--I had some problems (gross underdevelopment, no other obvious cause) with a recent batch of mytol, and wondered, of its components, which was the most likely to be at fault.

I've tried making up a phenidone stock solution in 100mL of propylene glycol, but it did not dissolve welll. Now I have a waxy mess with a bit of PG left in the bottle, kinda like the comb in the jar of honey!

Thanks all.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Does phenidone "go bad" on the shelf? I have kept mine in the same plastic bottle in which the Formulary shipped it to me. It is a bit caked--the stuff has the consistency of powdered sugar, tends to cling to itself as if slightly "greasy", and I think is a a very pale yellow (not in front of me at present.)

Reason I ask--I had some problems (gross underdevelopment, no other obvious cause) with a recent batch of mytol, and wondered, of its components, which was the most likely to be at fault.

I've tried making up a phenidone stock solution in 100mL of propylene glycol, but it did not dissolve welll. Now I have a waxy mess with a bit of PG left in the bottle, kinda like the comb in the jar of honey!

Thanks all.
    I can't tell you how old mine is, it's that old. Maybe twenty years? It's still relatively powdery and works fine.

I'd do a CYA and get new stuff. Your description doesn't sound encouraging.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Doesn't it absorb moisture from the air? If it's been exposed to a lot of humidity, the weight could be off.

I made some mytol that was weaker than expected, and I chalked it up to substituting ground vitamin C tablets of uncertain composition for sodium ascorbate.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Doesn't it absorb moisture from the air? If it's been exposed to a lot of humidity, the weight could be off.

I made some mytol that was weaker than expected, and I chalked it up to substituting ground vitamin C tablets of uncertain composition for sodium ascorbate.
    But a good jar should keep that out. I'll grant you that most of my Phenidone's life was spent in dryer climes. Now I'm in FL, so I'll check in another ten years!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My original batch of Phenidone lasted about 30 years, I bought it in the late 70's but the Ilford date code indicated it was manufactured in 1965. So it was over 40 years old when I finished it, it behaved no differently to the newer Phenidone I restocked with.

Ian

Images
    The vitamin C in tablets is usually ascorbic acid. That would make the Mytol weaker than expected. Try dissolving one in water with a little baking soda. If it fizzes, it's the acid.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've got some phenidone here that still works OK. It's Ilford brand (?possibly Ph-S?) and I bought it in 1959.
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin