Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,883   Online: 954

Shooter
    35mm

delta 400 problem

Hi everyone.

Got a little puzzle for you.

I have been getting VERY small speckles on one or two negatives on the occasional roll of delta 400 35mm film.

I sent a sample to Ilford a while ago with all the exposure / process info

Helpfully they came back to me saying it was not a film fault or a process fault but they considered it very likely it was stress being applied to the film during the camera rewind or perhaps when loading the tank reels.

The specs are usually in a small clump in a quite dark grey tonal area of the negative....eg a caucasian skin tone.

on a 10 times enlargement the dots are about 1mm across and almost regular discs. They print as dark dots [ not black ] but they have light edges.

I turned down the rewind speed on the camera...eos 1 and took special care not to bend or pull the film when loading and the problem did go away for a while BUT!!!

It's back !....two films in the same tank one had specs the other didn't
    the film with specs had two negatives affected [ they were 15 and 14 ]
    all the others were unaffected.

has anyone seen this problem please and did you establish what the cause was / is.

I only get it with D400....hp5 / fp4 / d100 / fuji neopan are all ok.

dev is ID11 at 1+1 made from 5 litre stock packs mixed with my standard water from the tap....stop bath is very weak acetic acid after two water rinses that's followed by Hypam fixer 1+ 4.
    All at 20 degrees exactly! hand processed in Jobo tanks.

the film is stored cool but not in the fridge.and is processed within a couple of days of being exposed.

hope you can help

pquser...Bob from Rochdale uk.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Could it be tiny water drops hitting the dry (or nearly dry) film?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a puzzle Bob, Delta 400 is the only roll film that I use, and I've never see the like. Hope you get the solution soon, sounds like it is a very annoying problem.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for the idea...I don't think that is happening but will have a close look.

The real puzzle is it only happens with D400
    I use the same processing method,for all my films [ process time and temps obviosly are different ]

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1/10mm on the negative rules out air bubbles in processing. Bubbles are larger. Fine dust on the film during exposure?
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for that yes...it's a possibilty...I will super clean out the camera today.

Bob.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin