Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,713   Online: 898

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Copious quantities of low grade dope perhaps?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are many reasons why this is done.

1. Stop bath impinges developer's freedom to exist by neutralizing it. This results in the emission of light as a protest.
    2. Light exists inside the emulsion after shooting, trapped by the silver molecules. The stop bath lets the light finally escape.
    3. Fairies like stop bath and developer as a lunchtime beverage, and emit light to demonstrate their pleasure.
    4. Murphy (of Murphy's Law fame) loves light in the darkroom and tries everything he can to get it in there. Since you've sufficiently sealed the darkroom against external light entry, Murphy is now letting light enter chemically.
    5. Someone dumped a bunch of radioactive radium into your developer so that it would glow in the dark (like the hands on your Gralab), but the stop bath allows the light to break the surface tension of the liquid.

That must be why. Yup, ahuh. Yup. There's the ticket.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I didn't use the word "proton", but I thought that was implicit in the case under discussion anyway?
    Oooh, okay, now I see where you were going with the +. That was subtle humour.

But still I think you passed up a golden opportunity to speculate on cold fusion...

Frank, for the record, my darkroom is on a college campus and as such is [officially] a drug-free environment.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    2. Light exists inside the emulsion after shooting, trapped by the silver molecules. The stop bath lets the light finally escape.
    I like that. But unfortunately, it happens when no film is present. It is possible that film is required to prepare the developer in a certain state, however; this calls for another experiment on my part.

How about this, Ole: stop bath "stops" the electrons. That's why they call it stop bath. And when you stop a lot of fast moving traffic, you get a lot of brake-lights flashing, which is also known as Bremsstrahlung.
    Last edited by keithwms; 06-16-2008 at 12:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's like that old joke about don't drop the camera or all the photos will turn out blurry.

Or, yet another moral issue, but on the flipside... it's a sign from God that you were really supposed to be a mixologist specializing in tropical drinks. But not Kool-aid.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Originally Posted by PhotoJim

Jim:

Is that kinda like letting the magic smoke out of an electronic component?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    Is that kinda like letting the magic smoke out of an electronic component?
    Precisely
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did anyone blame Global Warming yet?

No? Good: that's my explanation then...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Keith - what color was the light? I think we can determine who is right by finding that out.

If the color of the aurora was blue, then we can conclude that Ole is right, as it must be Cherenkov Radiation being formed from the proton decay. Protons normally have a half-live of around 10^32 years, but there must be something in the Wd2d+ that is accelerating this. It should decay in to a positron and a neutral pion, perhaps the Cherenkov radiation is from the reaction of the antimatter positron with an electron encountered in the stop bath.

If the color is green, and I mean a sickly flourescent green then obviously I'm right, as that is the key signature of anything to do with aliens. Well, at least with Greys, and their technology. I've never beleived that Spielberg multicolored alien depictions, it's just so Hollywood with all their flashing lights and such. But of course, if it is the Lizard People from Zeta Reticuli, then all bets are off, as who knows what colors those bad-assed aliens would use.

Scott, and his Satan Hypothesis, of course would be proven with a firey red color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Right, I must determine the colour. Will do.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Professionally speaking, my bet is that the colour is blueish white. I might be completely wrong and it may be yellow to orange, but I'm quite certain it won't be green or purple - nor clearly blue. I don't really believe in red, either.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin