Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,681   Online: 857

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

two-stage negative intensification

Hello,

I have used black and white intensifier from Photographer's Formulary, and I like it for adding density across the board. I also like to use a strong dilution of selenium toner as an alternative to about +1 of development. (I got this method from reading "The Negative".) I like this because it increases contrast more than the intensifier, not just overall density. If using small format film and I want to develop N+2, I will usually develop N+1, or slightly more, and tone with selenium instead of doing the full N+2.

I am wondering if these two methods can be used in tandem, or if there is perhaps some chemical change that occurs on the emulsion after one of them that will prevent the other from being effective.

If it will work, which would have to come first?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-17-2008 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    First intensifier, than selenium, because silverselenide is not to be bleached.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    When in doubt, follow Tim Rudman's advice in his book on toning.
    Bleach and redevelop in sepia toner adds the most contrast.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin