Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,089   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooting Delta 3200

I'm about to try a few rolls of medium format Delta 3200.

I gather it's true speed is 1600.

I am doing some portrait work with it and would love to hear some opinions on it.

I plan to use xtol 1+1.

So, any thoughts?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have shot a bit of it and personally find the speed to be around 1000. Also I have personally found that the grain from Ilford DDX is much less than the grain from XTOL stock. Shooting 6x6 negs and printing to 7x7 inches processed in DDX the grain is not really pronounced.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, I am looking for a bit of grain. Nothing too crazy but a nice, noticeable grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rumour has it that a certain director of Ilford Photo/Harman Technology who is known to post here from time to time is very fond of this film .

This thread may help you as well: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...ta-3200-a.html

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently tried some in Xtol 1:1. I rated it at 1600 but didn't do any speed testing. Quite noticeable grain, even in 8x10" enlargements from 6x9cm negatives. I was shooting at night so the extra exposure given to some parts of the scenes might have increased the appearance of the grain. Have fun and let us know what you think.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matthew,
    What was your developing time?

Shooter
    35mm
    I got this with 120 at 8x10 with ID11 at 1+1. Nothing obtrusive but clearly there. Might be worth a try. As it was a 6x6 neg I was surprised but I put it down to it being a 1950s Agfa Isolette I with the basic lens. It was D3200 exposed at 3200. Thinking about it again and if you'll pardon the expression I blew up the wife( there goes the life insurance money) on the print as she was a little small on the neg so in reality it was a little bigger enlargement than 8x10.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The plan is to shoot this in my Hasselblad and print no bigger than 10"x10".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We shoot at 800 and develop in Beutler's to emphasize the grain. My wife shoots 6x6 with a zone plate which is very soft, and the sharp grain produces quite a wonderful structure for that soft image. Here's where to see it if you are interested.

http://www.pbase.com/janealynn/janealynn

I tested this film rather thoroughly some time back. 800 turned out to be the right speed, although using it at 1000 is ok. 1600 is definitely overly optimistic, and at 3200 I am confident that you will lose a great deal if you are interested in retaining shadow values, regardless of what you develop it in. I think these superspeed films have been designed to lose less than other films, not to give you more.
    Last edited by bowzart; 06-18-2008 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add last pp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Delta 3200 quite a bit, primarily 645, and find it a nice flexible film. I shoot mainly using EI 400, though depending on circumstances up to EI 6400. Processed in DD-X for 30% longer time than recommended in the Ilford fact sheets. I find the grain it produces is very attractive, especially at the higher speed ratings.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin