Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,602   Online: 1337

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    What are Diary Cattle. Cows writing in books every day? I found a tree where someone had carved "moo". Guess this explains it.
    Hey, it's $19 a gallon; I'll venture that NONE of that goes toward spell checking the website...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably right. In fact, my guess is that the cows wrote it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In case you're wondering how useful (and safe) PG is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

For those near Portland, Oregon, there's also:

www.essentialwholesale.com

They've got ascorbic acid at $10 per lb., TEA, PG, glycerol, and other stuff for the HomeBrew photographer crowd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is propylene glycol and polypropylene glycol, which are related but not the same chemical. One is an antifreeze and the other is a surfactant. Make sure you know which you want and which you are using as they have different properties.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I get my propylene glycol from a refrigeration equipment company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you are going to want propylene, not polypropylene glycol.

Here's a link to Sandy King's formula and instructions. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...-hd-notes.html

Take a look. He very specifically specifies "propylene".

Shooter
    Medium Format

proplyene glycol

Is this a great site, or what!

many thanks to all who replied.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, Tractor Supply is also a great place to by syringes of all sizes; some quite large, intended for treating livestock.

That is where I buy my mixers for Pyrocat HD...

Images
    www.chemistrystore.com has it at reasonable price as well as a number of other chemicals of use in the darkroom. As jotdan says, you do not want polypropylene glycol. Propylene glycol is 1,2 propanediol, which is what you want. In emergency, if you don't mind the higher viscosity, you can use glycerol from the drugstore. This is 1,2,3 propanetriol.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm another one who's used The Chemistry Store -- in fact, I just got a 10-pound pail of potassium carbonate from them. There is one caveat about them, though: They don't tell you your shipping costs up front (you've got to give them your credit card number first), and they charge a $3.50 flat handling fee per order. For instance, my aforementioned 10-pound pail of potassium carbonate cost $14.63, but shipping was $12.19 and with the $3.50 handling fee it totalled $30.32. That's still fairly cheap; the chemical alone, without shipping, would have been $33.00 from Art Craft -- but OTOH, if I'd bought from Art Craft, I would only have bought 1 pound or perhaps 5 pounds, so I'd probably have spent less. (TCS only sells potassium carbonate in 10- and 24-pound pails.) As it is, I now have a lifetime supply of potassium carbonate sitting in my darkroom.

Overall, it's a pity that TCS doesn't have a slightly wider selection. I often buy elsewhere just because I need two items, but TCS doesn't have one of them and I can't justify the $3.50 handling fee for just one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin