Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,283   Online: 696

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scala, Anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Karl,

It is not still made. Same as many other great films that have been discontinued the past 5-10 years. My pet peeves are the various tungsten-balanced films, pos. and neg., that are tragically now GONE, leaving us only with 64-speed tungsten transparency films from Kodak and Fuji. I miss 320T like nobody's business! It was my favorite film for abot 50% of my shooting at the time. 160T was nice. Portra 100T, Fuji NPL...rrrgh.

The good news is that there really wasn't anything *super* special about Scala anyhow. It was really nice, but you can get close to its look with films that are still available, if you put time into experimenting. It was just a regular black and white negative film, but one that was rather high in contrast, so that it could beautifully handle the loss of contrast that occurs when films are reversal processed. You can process any "true" black and white film as a transparency or as a neg. Even color transparencies are neg. films to start. It is the chemical process that flips them.

I would say to try FP4 or Plus-X as an alternative. Freestyle also advertises a certain film as a good replacement. I can't remember exactly what it was called...Foma 200, I think. Ilford's published reversal process has worked very well for me in the past. Photographer's Formulary also sells a kit, but it is very expensive compared to the Ilford method, and is labelled as being for T-Max films...whatever that means. I imagine it would at least do SOMETHING to other films as well. You can also ship the film to the DR5 lab, which is in Colorado, USA, if I remember properly.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-20-2008 at 02:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I have still 5 rolls 120 but have no idea how to process them (Europe).
    Pity.

-M-

http://www.processc22.co.uk

The will process any B&W film in the scala chemistry if you ask them to, so you can get slides from FP4

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I have still 5 rolls 120 but have no idea how to process them (Europe).
    Pity.

-M-
    If these rolls are unimportant and you want to take the chance you can send the to me (paying for all the shippings only) and I'll process them for free, following my recipe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've developed Scala last year as negative film, in Ilfosol S, with times and temps as if it were something like FP4+ or APX100 or thereabouts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here is a recipe derived from all of the available material on the internet along with some references:
    http://www.kryptosinistographer.com/...que-for-m.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On a related note - why would someone want a B&W transparency as opposed to a neg, especially in the age of digital neg scanning?

I'm not playing devils advocate or being provocative, I honestly am trying to think of why to see if it would be a good idea for any of my projects.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

That "Scala Look"

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    On a related note - why would someone want a B&W transparency as opposed to a neg, especially in the age of digital neg scanning?

I'm not playing devils advocate or being provocative, I honestly am trying to think of why to see if it would be a good idea for any of my projects.
    I've had Scala developed commercially as a positive transparency and have developed at home as a negative. It's very intangible, but the positives seem to provide a better "tone richness," for lack of a better word. This is especially true in the dark tones. Perhaps someone else could provide a technical description of the "Scala look." Even better, a Photoshop or Lightroom preset would be just dandy.
    Mike Richards' Mobile Me gallery, including the Holocaust and Turkey Expo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post

I have used Scala positives in my enlarger for making large format negatives to use in alternative processes such as Vandyke Brown and Cyanotype. Worked very well!
    Lyn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..scala film is no longer being made. The last run was almost 4 years ago. There are films that work as well if not better than the scala film.

Scala does very well in Rodenal and D23.

dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once read a rumour that one of the final steps in the Scala process was a selenium-toning bath (hence the "tone richness"). Has anyone else heard this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin