Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,429   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expired Polaroid 55 - Shelf Life

I have four boxes left of Polaroid 55 due to expire at the end of June. I bought them just prior to the announcement (I had insider info of the disconitinuation and bought 6 boxes). The main puprose was to make sure that I had some for a commission I have in South Australia this Autumn (Early October). Will the Polaroids be OK for the three months after expirey?

I guess the optimum storage conditions are cool, but not freezing? I am also keeping them in a relatively non-humid environment, but not dry. They are fully boxed and sealed.

I would be happy if they survived thorugh till then/November.

Thanks for any advice.

Rgds, kal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid's expiration date is timed to the minute.

Are you lucky ? If it's a commission,
    use something else.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, thanks for the feedback. Will be taking quickloads and my sheet film also...but nothing quite like that instant feedback...I will take a couple of boxes and see what comes out. K

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you are using "expired" polaroid for testing only, I wouldn't hesitate to use out-of-date films. I regularly do this myself...just for testing. What usually happens on old Polaroid film is the developer pod dries out some, and there isn't enough "gel" to get a complete spread across the face of the image, so you have non-developed parts, and unless the film is really ancient, there is plenty of image left to evaluate exposure and sharpness. If your recently expired film is still sealed in the foil covered box, then it should be fine, and the main deterioration comes after you break the seal on the foil. Once you break the seal on the factory packaging (not the pasteboard outer box, but the inner foil sealed tray of films, then you should use up within a few months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am still using expired (but refrigerated) 665 from years ago... no problems. After removing a box of 665 or 55 from the fridge and bringing it up to temperature, I do try to use up the box within a week or two.

So, I'd say, just refrigerate your stuff if you don't plan to use it by the exp date, and it'll probably be just fine. If you find that you have pod issues then just start tray developing. The film itself will last ages if stored properly; it's the pods that go south.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    is 55 the stuff to use for testing? Why not use 100 speed. pricey test prints

has polaroid ever made the type 55 without print ..as in just a "readyload" of the film? that would be neat to have.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know I have used Type 55 for up to 2 years past expiration. If kept refrigerated, it shouldn't be a problem. Never freeze it. Freezing ruins the chemical pods.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    is 55 the stuff to use for testing? Why not use 100 speed. pricey test prints

has polaroid ever made the type 55 without print ..as in just a "readyload" of the film? that would be neat to have.
    Polaroid never made any b/w readyloads. They did market a Polachrome E-6 transparency readyload, which was actually Fuji RDP.

Fuji does make a 4x5 b/w pack film FP-100b45. ISO 100. Just a print, no negative, but you would need a polaroid or fuji pack-film back, you can't use the same back you use for Type 55. Polaroid did make quite a large array of b/w print materials in instant format without a useable negative...all gone now.
    Fuji also makes a Fuji Neopan Acros readyload. Beautiful film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Polaroid's expiration date is timed to the minute.

Are you lucky ? If it's a commission,
    use something else.
    Actually, no, type 55 has a long life past it's expiration date. Of all the polaroid it is the most forgiving in this regard. I just shot some 55 that's three years past expiration and the negative processed beautifully with no noticeable streaking or any of the other problems associated with dried up, or drying up polaroid chemistry pods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    type 55 has a long life past it's expiration date

What can I say ? You guys are luckier than I ever was. When you have consistent experience
    over many years that indicates the stuff is a poor bet for shooting after expiry date,
    how much more can you say ? It is moot now, I guess.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin