Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,681   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Panatomic x and the death of P55

If the Polaroid 55 film is Panatomic X (licensed from kodak or whatever) can Ilford for example not take control of that part of the discontinued Polaroid business, even if the actual instant film part is lost (I would happily develop it at home)? The film has a very distinctive feel, and Ilford don't today have such a slow speed film in their portfolio. I for one would buy it. Any views? K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before getting too depressed, I would give a try to a few of the sub-100-speed sheet films available from Freestyle. I love the Efke, myself. Pan-X is different, for sure (though I have only ever shot it in 35mm, and outdated), but you can get pretty close.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-20-2008 at 05:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, PN 55 was NOT Panatomic-X.

Ilford already has PanF+, and they recently evaluated whether a Delta 25 would be a viable product. It turned out not to be a winner, and they did not go ahead with it. You should find a couple of interesting post by Simon Galley about it.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ....or you could buy a lifetime supply and be done with it. At half a buck a foot your 4X5's will be costing you about 17 cents.

I have a bunch of this in my freezer and would agree, there really isn't anything else close. Microscopic grain and a contrast range that can sometimes make you wonder how you'll ever get it all in a print. It's perfect for Pt / Pd.

This is difficult to work with in 4X5 though. It is 4 mil thickness and it's a p*i*t*a to load. A whole new personality on 5X7 though where it becomes very nice to use. The curl holds it flat against the back of the film holders. I have about 1500 feet upstairs in the freezer. My hedge against a filmless future.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    that is a great deal but the pain of cutting it and then the pain of 1G just for film that you could never hope to use up in less than 10 years
    That's like adopting an expensive pet

SOMEONE needs to cut some up and sell in 200 sheet boxes

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Type 55 was not exactly Panatomic-X, but it was probably very similar. I've discussed a few references that suggest this in another thread.

That said, part of the Type 55 look is the monobath process, not just the film. Try monobath processing with other low to medium speed panchromatic films like Efke PL100, FP4+, Pan-F, or maybe Neopan, and you'll get something in the ballpark.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well if anybody wants to join me on a bulk purchase, I'll pay half, you pay half, we'll split it....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. Alright, now Tom Hoskinson and I have a monopoly on panatomic x, muahaha.....

P.P.S. Okay, where am I going to fit this in my fridge?

P.P.P.S. Oh, it's not a monopoly, there is one roll left. Somebody else buy it and join our cartel....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone want the formula for Panatomic X?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, based on numbers, less that 0.1% of APUG members are interested in making emulsions so I'm safe and so is the formula. again.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin