Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,967   Online: 735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wild Guess at a starting time

I'm going to to develop some tx rated at 400 in dektol 1:9 semi stand (agitation every 5 min's for 10 sec's)

Please give me your best guess for time.

jdc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to do the sheet film 4 min at 70F at about 1:4 dilution if thats a help.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd sure run a test exposure sequence first from zone 0 or even -0 through zone 11 or so, write the numbers on the frames with a sharpie, and make a contact print at the minimum time needed to get the edge of the film to equal the pure black of the paper - using my standard paper. That will give you an idea. Otherwise, I wouldn't know what to suggest. That's what I do, and it doesn't matter whether I'm close or not. I just change as needed, test again, and start using it in practice as I tune it.

If you are using cut film holders, you can use the darkslide to progressively double your exposure by moving it in increments. This was proposed in the first edition of Minor White's Zone System Manual. It does introduce inaccuracy through the intermitency effect, but for starters it will be adequate.

I've used dektol that way in the past, but with the addition of acetone. That increases the pH sharply. I didn't use it a lot, and it was so long ago I don't remember much except that it was a very decent developer. There was a fellow in the Bay Area in the 1960's named Don Ross who I understand used it, and he had some standing as a technical expert at the time; I still remember his images, and they were fine, too. The acetone breaks the sodium sulphite up and you get NaOH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks bowzart, Gary. I'm pretty confident I can identify a neg I can print -- or in my case contact. This is just a game to get me to the starting point.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    1:9 is what I use with kodalith so it seems pretty dilute for use with Tri-X and the stagnant development would take even longer
    My crazy wild guess would be 11 minutes
    Then I'd do 14
    Then I'd do 22
    Last edited by sun of sand; 06-22-2008 at 12:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think at 1:9 I'd be more inclined to start @ 22 mins and with the agitation coming in 5's and being so short 25mins would be better still -- Yes No?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    probably
    I always start with a lowball and work up

never done stand development
    with 1 4x5 id "do" 11, 15, 22, 34, 60
    cut each time off the sheet and fix for couple minutes until got a good negative
    it should be pretty easy to tell where your next time check should be
    If nothing on the film at 11 you can skip the 15 and go straight to 20 or so ..and on and on

that way you don't waste 3 hours developing separate films

i like games

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'll follow your technique

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    oh that's no technique
    I think I might try it later tonight
    never used dektol on film before

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So here is the plan 2 sheets exposed @400. One souped in a tray of dektol 1:9. agitated fro 10 sec every 5 mins a snip from the neg will be fixed and tested @12.5, and then based upon the results film will be developed onward. The second sheet will be used to confirm the time found in the first.

The hope/assumption is that 1:9 is dilute enough to become exhausted in the highlights but thick enough to develop the mids and shadows every 5mins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin