Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,580   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by inthedark
    I have been having to work 3am to 9am to get the printing/processing done before the room temp exceeds 95F in a cement industrial bldg. Sun heats it up fast. Then stay all day for customers. It has been character building to say the least.
    Wow. This is serious dedication to your job!

Shooter
    Large Format
    [quote But seriously I have been having to work 3am to 9am to get the printing/processing done. Then stay all day for customers. It has been character building to say the least.

What Jill forgot to mention is that she is really an insomniac. The heat is simply a reasonable excuse to cover her inherent tendencies.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I heard a rumor about something pertaining to global warming. I am not sure what that means, but it may apply.

The north east USA has been in the soup with daily temps in the 90's and very high humidity in the 90% range. It has been like this for almost 4 weeks! Cloudy, hazy hot humid gray weather non stop, day in day out. Relief may come this weekend.

The Weather Channel said essentially the world's weather patterns have backed up on each other and weather patterns have essentially stalled out.

Global warming, deforestation, gas guzzeling SUV's are just a myth though.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a geologist, and anyone familiar with geologic history can tell you a (true) tale of wild climatic variations that can be observed in the rock record. A russian scientist named Milankovitch made the interesting oribital cycle observations you mentioned in papers published in the early 20th century. He was dismissed as a kook until the evidence began to confirm many of his theories about orbital influences on climatic variation. It is by no means the only influence, and some aspects of his theory have been refuted, but the broad idea he promoted has some merit. Google his name for a whole boatload of commentary. Here is a representative and reputable link:
    http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/seasons_orbit.html
    It is very hard to get real facts about this nowadays without a lot of political cant interwoven in the science. No one ever got grant money for research by stating "There really is no problem to worry about, but I'd like to research it anyway".

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Suffice it to say I will not debate such a highly debatable issue on this board.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    "There really is no problem to worry about, but I'd like to research it anyway".
    LOL...you should put this one in the interesting quotes thread..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAP
    Global warming, deforestation, gas guzzeling SUV's are just a myth though.
    Try telling that to the polar ice shelves (on both ends) which are diminishing in both area and thickness at a truly alarming rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Rainville

I wonder how I will wash my film in cold weather. I am lucky here, tap water is always between 19 and 21 celsius, but in Canada during winter, I'm pretty sure it gets down around 10 celsius. How do you guys do it? (those who live up north, of course )
    You mix in a little hot water-)) Here in Toronto 10C is about right year round for the cold water. Even easier just don't worry about it. The water that first comes out of the tap will be warmer and after that does the wash temp really matter that much?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been watching this topic. Record-breaking heat all over Europe.
    There is a Program called "Weather Bug", that will pick up information from a great number of weather stations all over the United States. I've been comparing the weather here in "delightful" Ipswich, Massachusetts (for all who are not familiar with the geography of the East Coast, we are fairly North, about 50km North-North-East of Boston.
    For the last three weeks or so, we have been immersed in high humidity - with temperatures high enough to make it really miserable. Dew Points - the temperature where the air is completely saturated - have rarely dropped below 70 degrees F (21C) - Right now, 8 AM, the temperature is 72F (22C), and the dew point matches - 72F (22C). It will make 80-90F today, when it isn't raining.

I've been checking ... we have been beating both Houston and New Orleans as far as "heat index".

Showering is miserable - not the shower itself, but trying to dry off afterwards. Feels like you are still in there with the water running.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin