Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,680   Online: 696

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever tried developing paper in film developer? Not being chemically inclined, it looks like film and paper developer have many of the same ingrediants. I was thinking of trying maybe rodinal and seeing what happens. If anyone has already tried this, please let me know if I am waisting my time. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have mistakenly done this. It takes a long time to get development. OTOH I have developed film in paper dev. (Dektol) intentionally for max grain and contrast. Long ago in a galaxy far away I used Kodak's Tri-Pack where the same developer was used for film and prints. I have no idea what that developer was.

Paper developer is more active [stronger] then film developer. Rodinal might be a good choice if you want to try this. But it's likely going to take a long time to develop. Or I guess you could use Rodinal stock-))) Hey try it if you like it use it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As others have related, I would think that it would be better to try a paper developer as a film developer rather then the other way around. I do use Dektol at varying dilutions for my negative masks. I use ortho lith film which is a different film then photographic film. By using Dektol at a 1-30 dilution I can arrive at a continuous tone negative from half tone film. At conventional paper dilutions with Dektol the result is a high contrast (black-white only sharp cutting mask). The results with a panchromatic continuous tone camera film may be interesting.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Back in the dim recesses of time, I read about just that - Rodinal used as a paper developer - possibly somewhere in the "History of Rodinal".
    I have no idea where to start... I don't think I'd use the concentrate full strength... that is strong stuff. My guess would be 1:10 in a tray, and watch the development closely.
    Paper is not a tremendous security problem - a couple of sheets at risk is not as frightening as losing an entire roll, or expensive sheets, of film.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many years ago, I bought a developing kit made by GAF/Ansco that used the same developer for both film and paper. I'm not sure what it was. When I went back to the camera store for more, the guy there recommended I use Dektol for both - at different dilutions. This was fairly common 40-years ago for photographers on very limited budgets.
    Based on a thread I found on another site I tried developing Azo in Rodinal at 1:20. It worked, taking only slightly longer to develop than with Amidol. The results were far too contrasty for my taste, so I didn't really try to make a better print. I do think it would work if you tailored your negatives to the paper/developer combination.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. It was just an idea that poped into my head the other night. Next time I process some sheets of film, I'll throw a contact print in there and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    hi -

i have been processing film in ansco 130 ( forumulary paper developer) for several years.
    GAF used to market ansco 130 as "universal developer" and gave dilutions for film as 1:5.

i develop by inspection - 1:5 @72ishº for anywhere between 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 mins.
    used to use xtol and tmax rs, and sprint film developers, i have xtol packets "in storage" just incase, but only use 130 nowadays ...

have fun!
    -john
    im empty, good luck

Images
    I used to use HC110 for paper, but I added some carbonate and a little sulfite if I expected to use it for a while. Proportions are not critical. I think I used dilution A and added a tablespoon of washing soda. You could use pHPlus that you get at swimming pool supply places. Nowadays, I add some ascorbic acid also.

Pat Gainer
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you really serious--
    FROM-
    "The Agfa Book of Photographic Formulae";1910-

Dilution was 1 to 15-20 parts water with three drops per ounce of solution of 10% Potassium Bromide. For really "delicate tone simular to Platinum" use 1 to 100 dilution. Good Luck. So far I've give this out too two other people and no one has tried it yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin