Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,991   Online: 1004

View Poll Results: What B&W film do you use the most?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tri-X 400

6 12.77%
  • Tri-X 320

7 14.89%
  • HP5+

9 19.15%
  • FP4

10 21.28%
  • Plus-X

1 2.13%
  • APX 100

12 25.53%
  • APX 400

2 4.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I tried to include other films but it seems the polls are limited to 7 lines.

Ole those other films you mentioned are not easily obtain here in Canada. At least in my part of the woods anyway. We just get the usual stuff from Kodak, Fuji, Ilford and Agfa.

Kodak pissed me off years ago and I have tried like the dickens to avoid using their products. Unfortunately I find HP5 lacking in contrast but will have to experiment with FP4 once again. It was just that the APX 100 was SO sharp and had such a beautiful tonal range, wimper wimper...
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was able to wean myself off apx100 by moving to 8x10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TriX and Delta 3200 are my favourite 35mm films and I use FP4 and Delta 100 on all other formats. If I had to choose one only it would have to be TriX for I think it's so versatile, I've exposed it at 100 ISO through to 1600 ISO and have never been disappointed with the results.

If you're willing to mail order Eight Elm street in Toronto lists Forte film and Berger. Henry's carries some Maco products.

I've never worried about them since APX was so good and so cheap. I guess I'll have to try something else.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seems there are different stories from different parts of AGFA. Typical large corporation stuff. I think I will order a bunch just in case.

Hi Eric,

Your email has been forwarded to me for a response. We have had no
    official notification from the factory about 4 x 5 APX 100 (our code B9FSE)
    being discontinued. We do have inventory available in our Toronto
    warehouse, so if you're concerned about a possible discontinuation then you
    have the opportunity to stock up! Please contact you local dealer if you'd
    like to place an order.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional
    questions.

Regards,

Phil Nielsen
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to a couple of posts on the LF photorec.group someone received an Email from Agfa in Australia that APX 100 in sheet film will be discontinued and no longer manufactured. Reason given was the steady decline in the demand for sheet film by professional photographers who had made up the vast majority of users.

I don't know if it is true or not, but it makes sense considering most pros are going digital and from LF to medium or 35mm formats. The response from AGFA did state that it would continue to make APX100 120 and 35mm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have emailed Mr. Neilson the posting from PN for his comment. If he responds I will post it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

It would be nice if Agfa figured out that people like me have APX 100 35mm,120 and 4x5 in the fridge. Plus 5x7,8x10 and 11x14 Agfa paper. If I'm forced to switch 4x5 film I'll be looking at replacing more then just the 4x5. I may not buy a lot of film and paper but I won't be surprised if I'm the only one using more then just the 4x5 film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Humm...
    Decades ago Agfa played such a trick here in Brazil - they just flew the market.
    Maybe it's not that the film is no longer made - but that it will no longer be distributed in Australia?

Jorge O

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I feel the same way you do Robert. I too use MF, 35mm and 4x5 APX films plus AGFA B&W paper. If I am forced to change my film they will loose my business elsewhere as well. Bruce Barnbaum told me that Fuji Acros is showing signs of being a great 100 asa film. I guess I will check it out. I use Fuji color paper, NPS, NPH and Reala so I guess I might as well keep it all in the family.

it's just that APX 100 is so good!! And I hate Kodak. Ok so I'm being emotional, but isn't art an emotional thing. The tools we use to create it should stir up things within us too IMHO.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin