Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,710   Online: 696

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Developing while on a photo trip

I will be travelling to South Dakota at the end of August and plan on shooting a decent amount of 4x5 film. I think I have decided to develop my film as I go. We will be driving the whole way, and staying in your standard hotel most nights.

Currently, I am using a Nikor 4x5 spiral tank that takes 12 sheets of 4x5 and 1200ml of liquid. I do my own developing, but not at home - I dev at school using their chems and sink. I am very well versed at developing using their system - Develop, wash, stop bath 30s, wash, fix 4m, wash, check fix, hypo 3m, wash 10m, photoflo, dry in film cabinet.

I would like to adapt this to take along on the trip. It would allow me to review as I go along, and also minimize the risk of exposing the film after shooting it (I am having a recurring nightmare that involves me forgetting to close the box of exposed film on the last night of the trip and loosing everything.)

So, I was thinking of taking along the Nikor tank, D-76, skip the stop bath, fix, hypo and photoflo. I figure I can mix up the jugs before heading out. I would need a big graduate as well as some way of drying.

Am I asking for trouble here? Is it not worth the effort? Any thoughts on how to dry 12-24 sheets of film in a hotel room? Thanks for making it this far in this book length post!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Maybe simplify developing to Diafine or the like. Or mail exposed film to someone back home that will throw packages into fridge till you get back?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    I..... I have decided to develop my film as I go. ..... I am very well versed at developing ...I would like to adapt this to take along on the trip. It would allow me to review as I go along....
    So, I was thinking of taking along the Nikor tank, D-76, skip the stop bath, fix, hypo and photoflo. I figure I can mix up the jugs before heading out. I would need a big graduate as well as some way of drying.

Am I asking for trouble here? Is it not worth the effort? Any thoughts on how to dry 12-24 sheets of film in a hotel room?
    A few ideas
    * Take black plastic bags (huge trashcan sized) and blue tape to block out windows for changing.
    * Keep D76 as concentrate - dilute as you need.
    * Get liquid fixer concentrate (Kodak Rapid Fixer or other)- dilute as you need, ymmv if you discard this into septic or sewer.
    * Get small bottle of white vinegar (acetic acid!) and dilute (for stop bath)

Dump used chemicals (treat them as one-evening shot; I'd use developer as one-shot).

* Develop films and hang in shower overnight. Take shower in morning after they are dry!. I'd take some wire (coat hanger or other) and cut to form S-hooks. Attach a closepin (or better yet, one of the Jobo film hangers with the sharp film pins) to wire . Put S-hook over the shower rod. About an hour after hanging, carefully blot the drip at the corner and they will dry faster. In an emergency - an unused brand new hairdryer - but you risk blowing dust onto them. South Dakota in August should be very dry - you shouldn't have problems with film drying. An air conditioned room will be very dry as well.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    There's no good reason you cant. Use wire coat hangers with twist-ties and clothespins. The only thing I would suggest is to use a more concentrated developer, like rodinal, so you dont have to carry a huge tube of d76.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like a plan.

As for drying film--if you're lucky, there will be a retractable drying line over the bathtub (there often is), but if not, you can always improvise something involving clothes hangers or a string between any two convenient points. I highly recommend Jobo sheet film clips for drying a lot of film in a small space. They are expensive, but they hold the film very securely with minimal contact by piercing the film with a pin, and the film hangs perpendicular to the line, so you can fit a lot of film of any format on a short line.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some years ago I developed film as I travelled on the East Coast on the US and found that there were differences in contrast from place to place. I was told that this may have been caused by changes of water. I used my regular film developer carried across the Atlantic just in case the US formulation was different. The times, dilution and agitation were the same so the contrast changes had to be the result of local water PH. It may be worth developing one sheet to test contrast before completing all your exposed film.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those Jobo clips look nice, but boy are they spendy at $7 a clip. I think I'll have to bite the bullet though if I want to do this right.

Interesting about the contrast. Luckily I will only be moving hotels once and will be in the same geographic area the whole time, so testing should be easy enough.

I will definitely need to test this setup before I head out!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ouch! They were spendy at $4.50 a clip and then last I checked $5.50 at B&H. I've got 40 of them now, some of which I bought new, but I also got some second hand for around $2 a clip.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luckily I will only be moving hotels once and will be in the same geographic area the whole time, so testing should be easy enough.

I check to see if the bathroom at the hotel or motel I stay at has a window, most interior bathrooms can be made dark with tape abound the door and a towel to seal the door at the floor. Calumet use to sell a dark tent large enough to load film in a tank. Dust may be an issue, seal up the AC vent when you dry your film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Ouch! They were spendy at $4.50 a clip and then last I checked $5.50 at B&H. I've got 40 of them now, some of which I bought new, but I also got some second hand for around $2 a clip.
    And they say gold is a good investment!

BTW, chemistry and my experience shows that D-76 can only be concentrated about 2:1. Two hundred grams of sulfite is a bit of a choke for a liter of water.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin