Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,083   Online: 781

Thread: Glycin in Oz?

Shooter
    35mm RF

Glycin in Oz?

Tried to order some glycin from Vanbar in Melbourne only to be informed they are out of it and won't be re-ordering more. Pity, as it's a real chore to find it at a reasonable postal cost from o/s.
    Anyone know of a local source?
    TIA
    Murray, Brisbane

Please email us your postal code and we will quote you on shipping charges.
    Also include the quantity you are looking for.
    Thanxs
    Bud

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

glycin order/storage advice

I too am sensitive to shipping charges. Order from the Formulary - I understand that they make Glycin up regularly. Product that I have bought from them arrived white in colour. Glycin oxidizes easily in a dry state quite readily, and it is easy to buy a grey or tan ( ie less active) powder from other vendors.

Once you get the powder, store it in the freezer in a moisture resistant container - I use Bud's standard plastic ones with some black electrical tape wrapped around the outside of the cap over the threads. Glycin stays white a long time when it is kept frozen. Mine is heading into a second year, I think, and it looks as gooda as new. Just scrape out what you need, direct from the frozen state to the scale pan/paper, and then into the solution.

Glycin keeps a long time once in solution. I run it in a batch of Harveys 777 that I work on feeding a film to at least once every three weeks, with recommended replenishment. The same batch has been good to me for periods of over a year. Ansco 130 paper developer, another formula that I buy glycin for gives nice warm toned action when I am printing fibre and want a warm toned image on a compatible type of paper, and it sits happily on the shelf over the sink until it is called on.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I too am sensitive to shipping charges. Order from the Formulary - I understand that they make Glycin up regularly. Product that I have bought from them arrived white in colour. Glycin oxidizes easily in a dry state quite readily, and it is easy to buy a grey or tan ( ie less active) powder from other vendors.

Once you get the powder, store it in the freezer in a moisture resistant container - I use Bud's standard plastic ones with some black electrical tape wrapped around the outside of the cap over the threads. Glycin stays white a long time when it is kept frozen. Mine is heading into a second year, I think, and it looks as gooda as new. Just scrape out what you need, direct from the frozen state to the scale pan/paper, and then into the solution.

Glycin keeps a long time once in solution. I run it in a batch of Harveys 777 that I work on feeding a film to at least once every three weeks, with recommended replenishment. The same batch has been good to me for periods of over a year. Ansco 130 paper developer, another formula that I buy glycin for gives nice warm toned action when I am printing fibre and want a warm toned image on a compatible type of paper, and it sits happily on the shelf over the sink until it is called on.
    Well Mike, thank you for that. I heard that it kept better in solution but it had to be acid or alkaine or it wouldn't disolve at all.

I had some old brown glycin here and put it into a jar with some sodium bisulfate which is equivalent to sulfuric acid. The supernatant was light brown but there was a very dark residue on the bottom. Presumably the oxidised glycin isn't soluble in acid.

Then I put the rest in some TEA and it went completely into solution but like coffee in color. I think I will store the new supply in TEA, altho what you say makes a lot of sense.

Bud, I am in Australia (the land of Oz) and the freight might be a crippler. I only want 25g or tharabouts. Getting more could be a bit of a waste of time! The postcode is 4075 which is in Queensland state. I doubt that makes any diff! :-)

I was going to have to go to Formulary since I don't know of any other source axcept China and you buy a bag of 20Kg or so as a minimum order.

Thanks to both of you.
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm also in Australia and would like to get some glycin from the US. Is there a way of dissolving it to make a concentrated stock solution that would keep well? Maybe TEA or propylene glycol? Any solubility figures available, or guesses?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    See #3 & #4 above. Mine hasn't come yet so can't give the definitive reply but I read elsewhere that TEA is good. I doubt glycol, but it'd be worth a try of a few grains in a spoon.

Murray

Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    I'm also in Australia and would like to get some glycin from the US. Is there a way of dissolving it to make a concentrated stock solution that would keep well? Maybe TEA or propylene glycol? Any solubility figures available, or guesses?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    john_s I have PM'd you.
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin