Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,305   Online: 1231

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim,
    Same camera, same insert, same everything. Even the same day!
    I really want to believe that Plus-X is great film, and I'll keep trying. It's just irritating as hell that every time I take a trip dedicated to photography I end up with some sort of problem with my film. Chaps my a$$.
    Thanks,
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Yes, same camera, but different film backs? I once had a white scratch issue with a Bronica back. Turns out it was an ever-so-small rough spot on one of the rollers. A piece of ultra fine sandpaper fixed the problem.

Plus-X is a great film and while it *COULD* happen, a defect in the film is not likely. I've been shooting Kodak film for 30 years and haven't seen one yet. The QC at EK is great.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it possible the roll of Plus-X got sent through a CT scanner or something (e.g. on checked baggage)? Those are weird marks.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas;

Pressure marks are generally dark on the negative and therefore light on the positive image. These appear dark. It therefore was something that reduced development in the developer. Can't say otherwise.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should have mentioned that we drove to Michigan from Minnesota and back, so no airplanes. Otherwise good theory.
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Is it possible the roll of Plus-X got sent through a CT scanner or something (e.g. on checked baggage)? Those are weird marks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Ron. Process of elimination is telling me that I have a gremlin...
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Thomas;

Pressure marks are generally dark on the negative and therefore light on the positive image. These appear dark. It therefore was something that reduced development in the developer. Can't say otherwise.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gremlins, no question!

This makes me wonder: 1) How old is the PX/ exp date?

2) Where did you buy it? Could it be gray mkt and sat on a dock in the heat of the equator for 7 years?

Try a roll of a different 100 +- speed film (FP-4, TMax, Acros etc.) in the same dev and see what that does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas

It is safe to assume, until proven otherwise, that Kodak makes film perfectly. Also, that Plus X is beyond reproach. I'll stick my neck out and say that say that PyroCat is friendly stuff, and that it is unlikely in the extreme that two rolls would be unaffected by any latent developer malevolence while the third was struck.

I inverted the sample to look at the 'negative', and sharpened it.
    It seems the marks are generally in the direction of film travel through the camera, but are curving slightly.

Is the film abraided ? Are there drying marks on the film ?

What color socks were you wearing ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Curious. Well, before investing a lot of time in understanding what may have been spurious, why not do another test with fresh developer. Maybe just snip some film off another roll and see what results.

Who knows, maybe there was a localized Gamma-Ray Burst while you were developing your film. I, like, totally hate it when that happens.

Another thing you could do is print it fuzzy and call it art.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fresh date, 09/2010. Bought at the local store, National Camera Exchange in Edina, Minnesota. I bought two pro-packs, and I'm going to run a roll through another camera today and develop it alongside a roll from the camera that had the problem roll through it. See what happens.
    I did develop a roll of FP4+, also fresh date, bought from the same place, and it came out brilliant!

Gremlins!

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Gremlins, no question!

This makes me wonder: 1) How old is the PX/ exp date?

2) Where did you buy it? Could it be gray mkt and sat on a dock in the heat of the equator for 7 years?

Try a roll of a different 100 +- speed film (FP-4, TMax, Acros etc.) in the same dev and see what that does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don,

this would represent the first time I've ever had such a problem with a Kodak roll of film, indeed, that's why I'm so curious about what might have gone wrong.

Film is not abraided, upon closer inspection, it looks just like when a surface gets static electricity charges and collects dust irregularly. Then it's as if that dust was embedded in the emulsion. That's how I best can describe it.
    There are a few drying marks on the film, but they don't correspond to the patterns that show up. I could even see them when the film was wet.

Socks - black, my friend. I always wear black socks when I photograph. Perhaps time for a change?

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Thomas

It is safe to assume, until proven otherwise, that Kodak makes film perfectly. Also, that Plus X is beyond reproach. I'll stick my neck out and say that say that PyroCat is friendly stuff, and that it is unlikely in the extreme that two rolls would be unaffected by any latent developer malevolence while the third was struck.

I inverted the sample to look at the 'negative', and sharpened it.
    It seems the marks are generally in the direction of film travel through the camera, but are curving slightly.

Is the film abraided ? Are there drying marks on the film ?

What color socks were you wearing ?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin