Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,779   Online: 834

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Plus-X - What the...?

I decided to try some Plus-X 120 film and my first impression is horrible...

I developed a roll for testing in the same tank as two rolls of Tri-X 400 120. The two rolls of Tri-X came out perfect, as they always do, and the Plus-X came out like the attachment shows. What the heck happened here?

Film: Kodak 125PX, 120 roll
    Dev: Pyrocat-MC 1+1+100 (13 minutes, agitate full 1st min, then twice every 3 mins, 70*F)
    Stop: Water
    Fix: Ilford Hypam 1+4 (fresh)
    Wash and dry with PhotoFlo

What's going on? Can we single out flm problem here?

Thanks for your insight.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sturgeon Bay 01.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    Whew! I could imagine several things, but most likely seems to me to be pressure marks judging only from appearance. When or where that might have happened, who knows? I'm only guessing.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the same film, developer combination and time, but mine don't look anything like that. Could it just be a defective roll? Of all the troubleshooting I've had to do in the past and books I've read, I haven't seen anything like that. It looks like streaks of something maybe on the left hand side. Try again maybe and see if it persists?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the roll uniform with all the frames showing the same issues? I'm not sure of the cause but I saw a streaking similar what's on the left side your image, though much less pronounced on a roll of acros I recently processed in pyrocat at the same dilution. I saw it running lengthwise, and only on one frame. My only theory (and I'm not sure it's a good one), is that some crystals that have formed around the mouth of the B solution got into the developer.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to try a roll in Xtol today to see if the problem goes away.
    All three rolls developed were shot with the same camera, a Mamiya 645, so I have to disregard gainer's suggestion about pressure, at least from the camera back point of view.
    I'll post my results here, as I have a hard time imagining Kodak producing film with these issues. I want to like Plus-X so badly, especially since I printed a client's negatives that were shot on it. Great prints resulted.
    - Thomas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, something wrong with that particular roll of film, or something went wrong with processing that particular roll. I don't think that Pyrocat is to blaim either. I remember seeing similar artifacts, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember neither the cause nor the cure.
    While Plus-X never have been a favourite of mine, it's only a matter of finding the receipe which will make that film sing for you. (Pyrocat is a good start. Kind of a magic bullet for most of the films I've tried it with.)

//Björn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'm going to try a roll in Xtol today to see if the problem goes away.
    All three rolls developed were shot with the same camera, a Mamiya 645, so I have to disregard gainer's suggestion about pressure, at least from the camera back point of view.
    I'll post my results here, as I have a hard time imagining Kodak producing film with these issues. I want to like Plus-X so badly, especially since I printed a client's negatives that were shot on it. Great prints resulted.
    - Thomas

Yes, same camera, but different film backs? I once had a white scratch issue with a Bronica back. Turns out it was an ever-so-small rough spot on one of the rollers. A piece of ultra fine sandpaper fixed the problem.

Plus-X is a great film and while it *COULD* happen, a defect in the film is not likely. I've been shooting Kodak film for 30 years and haven't seen one yet. The QC at EK is great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They almost look like pressure/contacts marks. Any chance the emulsion side came in contact with another part of the film during processing? There would likely be at least another with this if it did.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob,
    all the negs have some artifact on them, they're all different though.
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    - Thomas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hated the roll I tried of Plus-X. I had it done by a lab and I'm hoping it was their fault, because the negs were terrible. I like Tri-X and T-max so much better...but I guess I won't know for sure until I develop them myself.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin