Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,912   Online: 993

Thread: IR film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

There was a thread re Ole's vacations that covered IR films.
    Since I've never used this type of film (and probably never will), could someone comment in why to use it?

Thanks,

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use it mostly for the special effects (funny folige, black skys) that it exhibits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I went through a big IR phase. I loved the idea of photographing light which I could not see. I felt like I discovered a hidden world and wanted to keep exploring it. At the time I was also in a dark and depressing mood, and IR gave me a great way to express it. It's very addictive film once you get to know it. I also pulled of some shots with it I could not have gotten otherwise. For example dark green lilipads in a water bog would not show up with standard film, but IR they would glow white surrounded by the black water.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a couple of work prints in the critique gallery (on page 3 at the mo') using Kodak HIE IR film which give some idea of the effects that you get using this sort of film.

Mind you, after seeing them your question may remain the same...! :-)

Regards,

Frank

"A fate WORSE than a fate worse than death? Sounds pretty bad!" - Edmund Blackadder

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My latest in the critique gallery is a "typical" IR shot: Shallow lake, brown water, bright day, lily pads. All murky grey on "ordinary" film, bright white/deep black on IR.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    IR can be almost like conventional film yet subtly different-you can give reality a little bit more of a twist, make your pictures more otherworldly. The Kodak can be a bit over the top (depending on how you treat it) but the Konica is much more subtle. Look forward to trying Maco.

BD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IR film is also wonderful for taking cloud shots, great contrast and detail with Konica 750.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, guys.
    When I have a chance of traveling abroad I will try to get some IR film just to play with it.

Jorge O

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin