Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,618   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've used Rodinal film developer for over 25 years now. I'm not too willing to give it up but it's getting harder and harder to find nowdays. I prefer the concept of the one shot pre-mix developer throw-away. Anything else out there that will provide the same high acutance results? Am I asking too much?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Rodinal has a pretty distinctive look. There are many other one-shot developers, but if you like Rodinal, why switch? Even if you can't find it locally, you can get it easily enough by mail order, and it lasts a long time, so you can stock up.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been ordering it from Adorama with no problem so far. But its been a couple months since I got a bottle. Where have you been getting it Jack?

Shooter
    35mm
    J&C (see sponsors at the top of the page) sells R09 - considered to be the original, pre-WW2 Rodinal formula.

Never tried it.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Apparently Agfa is getting out of the B&W film business. So then what will happen to Rodinal? Photographers' Formulary sells a Rodinal formula. Also try Calumet Photo at the top of the page.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I lived in Hawaii I was forced to go cold turkey on Rodinal -- each little $6 bottle carried a $25 hazmat fee when mailordered. I weened myself onto Xtol and have found it to have more latitude & less grain but workable. I mix it in 5-liter batches and throw it away as used.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

You could also try Kodak HC-110. Like Rodinal it is a highly concetrated one-shot developer - I dilute it 1:47. Convenient to use - no powder to mix and no stock-solution in bottles... Shelf life is quite god I believe (it hasn't let me down yet). HC-110 has not got the same sharp and defined actuance that Rodinal. On the other hand it is not as dissolving as Xtol.

For 135 films HC-110 is a very good developer, very close to Xtol. I turned down Xtol due to the mixing & botteling part of it, which I hate.

Still, as a highly diluted compensating developer (1:100) for 120 films Rodinal cannot be replaced.

If Agfa is shutting down its B&W products or not should not have any impact on any desicons regarding Rodinal,... it'll be around somehow anyway.
    Henning Jansen
    Stavanger - Norway

I recently tried some Tetenal Neofin Blau in one-shot fashion on some Efke R100 and was very pleased with the results. High acutance and resolution, tight, sharp grain. As supplied via JandC Photo it came in a box of five vials, each containing 30ml of concentrate. The concentrate makes enough for a single roll of MF or two rolls of 35mm.

The supplied data is pretty thorough but takes some careful reading to decipher. Information is supplied for agitation (continuous and 1-minute intervals), contrast indices, etc.

It's not quite as affordable as Rodinal tho'. However Neofin Blau is reportedly a standard Beutler formula, which can be readily mixed up from commonly available chemistry. Recipes alleged to produce some version of Rodinal are available but the components are rather less user friendly.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use (nearly) everything as one-shot?
    • Neofin Blau and Neofin Rot
      Ilfosol S
      Ilford DD-X
      Pyrocat-HD
      Beutler's
      Maxim Muir's Compensating Pyrocatechin

I've never used Rodinal, though...

The only developer I'll re-use is "divided" D23.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never had any problems getting hold of Rodinal myself in the UK. However I also recommend Neofin. Or you could try making up the original Beutler/FX1 & 2 -see the Film Developing Cookbook (Anchell & Troop). Believe Photographer's Formulary also sell packaged versions of FX1 & 2 . Good luck experimenting.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin