Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,446   Online: 1187

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not exactly digital but on the idea of technology and hype- remember when everyone talked about using a microwave for all your cooking. An entire Thanksgiving meal for 12 from a microwave oven!

I have also discovered that for every computer game or gizmo that we buy or receive as a gift for our 2 daughters, there is a quick boredom and return to the classics. Blocks, legos, playdoe, pots and pans, stuffed animals, oatmeal containers etc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I work for a $5bil conglomerate that buys bloated mismanaged companies, gets rid of 40% of the people and then produces better products at better margins. It may be that this is where Kodak gets lean and mean. With the good part being mean. I just got home from vacation: Yosemite, Redwood Forest, Cedar Breaks - etc. I guess half the cameras were digital. mostly shots of the significant other with a neat backdrop. They will be "good enough" and less money (?) to print on the PC than the 35mm group. I still think 35mm is more convenient - no time on the computer to see a 4x6. Most of the shots I take with 35mm end at 4x6. My shots with the 4x5 will take a lot of time and will be large and some will call it art. I don't feel threatened. How long have we had McDonalds? There will always be the market for "good enough" fast and cheap. Where Kodak needs to worry is that it is mostly a chemical company with a great deal of its margins coming from medical and technical imaging. Digital is software and electronics. IMHO they should buy some companies that have that competancy (if they are not already doing this) Consumers will be happy with the Kodak brand in digital although Kodak holds the "first in mind" title for film (not cameras) and not yet do they have the "first in mind" for digital (cameras, processing or supplies).
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not sure what the future holds for Kodak but it seems like they are having an identity crisis of somekind. They had a niche, and now they are phasing out that niche and going into a market that's totally over saturated. With digital everyone is in the imaging game now. You have phone companies making digicams, watch comapnies making them, and companies who were strictly involved with pc components making them. The product lines are so similar that soon "brand" name will no longer be a concern. Kodak used to rely on that "brand" name and now they are moving from Queen ant to mere drone. They seem to be doing ok so far, but burning a lot of bridges to get there. Will it pay off? I don't know...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I believe for any company it is hard to resist the gold rush that started with this "digital revolution". As I mentioned once on another post, when you went into a pro or semi pro camera store ten or fifteen years ago they all sold cameras, large and small format as well as lights and goodies. In their darkroom department they sold the usual darkroom equipment. Almost everything had dust on it from the lack of turnover. Once you bought it, it lasted for years.

When digital hit, they had a whole new cash cow, that generated huge amounts of money, partly because every photographer had to start over and buy everything new, and secondly the stuff is obsolete in a few months. Every photography magazine ( well almost) gets it's revenue from the digital ads, hence every story is about digital.

So I guess my point is all the conglomerates want a piece of the action and we all know conglomerates only care about one thing, the bottom line.

The people who will take care of us in the future are the boutique companies that care about analog-silver prints. After a few years and the conglomerates see that where they went is no longer working and they are missing huge revenues, they will buy up the boutique companies.

This happened in the movie industry. The conglomerates only cared about blockbuster movies and for a number of years only turned out crap. Independants started making small entertaining great movies and making money at it. The conglomerates then bought them all up and kept their independant names so the public would think they were still small independants.

Michael MCBlane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm waiting to see the reaction of the new digital photographers (the point and shoot crowd) the next time they have to upgrade their operating systems and find that their cameras and photosoftware are not compatible. The real push for digital photography is not from the old film manufacturers but from computer and software companies. I was told by an employee of one of the larger photo stores in Toronto that you should upgrade your digital camera at least every 2 years with your computer. "You can't think of digital cameras as cameras, they are really just computer peripheral now", is what I was told. I didn't see a "Used Digital" counter in the store.
    Brian McDowell

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    On a related point........Most photo mags these days are just junk food-there's hardly any solid content amid all the ads and puffery for all the latest gizmos. I've been reading them for 21 years and even the likes of Amateur Photographer (UK) were more substantial back then. At least we have the likes of View Camera, Ag, Black & White and Photo Art which are actually worth buying for more than the 2nd hand ads and which take more than 5 mins to read.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in relation to the previous post, Lenswork announced that they would no longer carry outside advertising in the quarterly. I imagine they will still carry some extensive advertising for their own publications, interviews on CDs etc. But it is kind of a breath of fresh air to have one publication that is dedicated to the art and artist and not just an advertising brochure.

Brian got the point.
    By the Software point of view: tiff, jpeg etc, in two years ahead we will have tiff2, jpegplus etc. Adobe will read which of these? And the Adobeturbo? Who will copy his/her image files to the new generations (extensions) per omnia secula ? Nobody. Therefore the images will be lost.
    By the Hardware point of view: just reminding - floppy disks 8", 5 1/4", 3 1/2", bernoulli disk, tape stream, zipdrive, cdrom. In two years when we have xptodisks with more than 1gb, there won't be device units to read present cdrom or any other older midia. Who will copy his/her files from one midia to another per omnia secula ? Nobody. So, images will be lost by this reason also.
    These are facts, pure truth, as is true that Kodak is the worst company concerning quality of film/papers since some decades ago. Mr Crabtree doesn't work there since long time ago.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin