Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,119   Online: 959

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I've got a reel of computer tape. You know the kind that you see spinning in the movies. I never thought it would be impossible to read something so common. Today I think I would have to buy a junked tape drive and hammer it all together. The problem is I doubt anything worth saving is on that tape even assuming it's still readable after 20 years. Thats the real problem. If it was in human readable form I'd look it over and decide what is worth saving.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In college I took courses in Broadcast Journalism. The school had just converted from shooting film to ENG (electronic news gathering) using video tape. The machines for running on air tape used 2" (?) tape. I have several reels of on air stuff I did in school but there is no way to play it back or transfer it, at least locally. I would love to be able to show my kids what dad looked like on TV in the early 80s but don't know if such machines even exist anywhere in the states today. Maybe some Eastern European countries have old machines from the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, no. You don't have to go to eastern Europe. There are several companies in the US that transfer quad tape to a modern format.

www.antiquevideo.com

www.quadonevideo.com

are a couple I've run across. Never used them, but you might want to get in touch. Expect to pay, though.

Today's TV people don't know what they missed, not having been around a videotape machine that was an 8-foot cube, weighted about 8 tons, and operated on compressed air.

I still crank up my 3/4 U-matic occasionally just to hear the tape pulled through the machine.

And if you're wondering - the signal recorded on the tape was analogue.

juan

Shooter
    35mm
    I've seen some antique VTR's - but never this big!

I used to work at radio station when young - Ampex, Altec, RCA etc tube gear.
    Everything was big and hot and one had to be careful with electrical shocks...

Jorge O

It must be considered/remembered that a silver based negative will be "read" by a lens (of an enlarger or a champagne bottle) per omnia saecula saeculorum.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Aggie,
    Here is a place in Burbank that transfers film to DV or whatever you want.
    They look like they have good credientials, but are most likley $$$$$$$

http://www.pro8mm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just an interesting observation regarding Kodak products....

Last week I started my BFA program at the University of Arizona. Excellent program. Insanely good archive at the Center for Creative Photography.

Anyway, I went and got my darkroom pass and was oriented to it.

Now it is a pretty nice darkroom. If it is understaffed (at the start of the year it takes a while for all the enlargers to get calibrated and overhauled). It is VERY large. It has two sides. A fiber and an RC side. The fiber side has about a dozen enlargers (all VERY nice Omegas that take up to 4x5. Yes, 4x5. A rarity now it seems) and the RC side has about 25 enlargers (same Omegas).

Add to this a mural darkroom, about 10 private darkrooms for student use, and you have a LOT of paper going through the system. In fact often the darkroom is full (so I have been told).

Now, there is really only one local shop that UofA students use for supplies. And many do buy locally.

Guess what these guys carry?

Ilford.

When I went there they had DOZENS of different kinds of Ilford paper. Well, actually they had dozens of shelves where it WAS. The Ilford was getting bought up because school had started.

So I bought a bunch of this and that. Looking to see what I liked. And I noticed one thing.

They only carried ONE type of Kodak paper. A simple 8x10 VC RC.

Ilford was doing fine! But Kodak was relegated to one type.

I even asked WHY this was.

I was told "demand".

Somebody dropped the ball here. And it wasn't Ilford.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    They only carried ONE type of Kodak paper. A simple 8x10 VC RC.

Ilford was doing fine! But Kodak was relegated to one type.

I even asked WHY this was.

I was told "demand".

Somebody dropped the ball here. And it wasn't Ilford.
    Thank God for small favors.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin