Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,496   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mmmm Plus-X

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know much about anything these days but I think that the price difference is due to the lack of demand for Plus-X. It will probably go the way of Verichrome pan eventually, sooner than later. It's a beautiful film, perfect with Microdol-X (do they still make that? I used to buy it in a glass bottle and i'm not that old..)

eh. i'll keep my mouth shut next time. :/

Shooter
    35mm

You are "That old."

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    I don't know much about anything these days but I think that the price difference is due to the lack of demand for Plus-X. It will probably go the way of Verichrome pan eventually, sooner than later. It's a beautiful film, perfect with Microdol-X (do they still make that? I used to buy it in a glass bottle and i'm not that old..)

eh. i'll keep my mouth shut next time. :/
    I THINK my only use of Microdol X is about 1965. and I THINK it was in an envelope. But then again, what I THINK often does not jibe with reality......

It is indeed a beautiful film, one of my favorites. I have trouble scaninning it though.

I take Delta 100 and Plus X. Both print on #2 paper with a condenser enlarger. The Delta scans easily and I get a low cotrast scan. The Plus X is worse than scanning slides. Tri X scans fine to.

I don`t understand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting. I've had no problems scanning my Plus-X. What do you develop in and what do you scan with?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have recently discovered Plus-X and I like what I see so far. I develop it in Xtol 1+3 or Pyrocat-MC and both have given me great results. I have printed them on all kinds of paper and I am delighted to say the least. Great tonality, very sharp, and a nice looking grain. I too think of it as a less grainy Tri-X.

I haven't tried scanning it yet, but I'm interested in hearing from Ronald and others what level they take their scanning to. I usually just do it for proofing so I know what to print in the darkroom, but on occasion I push my scanner to the limit. What kind of problems are you
    seeing? What is it about the scans that you don't like compared to Delta 100??

Thanks,

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I scan pretty thoroughly when I have a good shot. Nikon Coolscan V at 4000 dpi. I use Vuescan, get a nice scan with no highlight or shadow clipping, and then do some curves/levels in photoshop. I've really had no issues with Plus-X and scanning...

I develop in XTOL 1:1 for Kodak's given times if it makes a differences.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent film! A favorite for work in studio. In D-76 1+1. Yet to find a better developer for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    I THINK my only use of Microdol X is about 1965. and I THINK it was in an envelope. But then again, what I THINK often does not jibe with reality......
    I'm pretty sure it came canned. You used it about when I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used plus-x in the 1960's, developed in Rodinal, and was shooting with an uncoated Zeiss Sonnar on a Contax II. Printed one of those negatives a few months back. There is a quality about that image that would be very hard if even possible to achieve now. I wonder how the film has changed. Anybody know?

Besides the great scale, the grain was really beautiful. And, coated or not, that Sonnar is hard to beat. Using Rodinal, which gives an emphasis to the linear elements and value boundaries, the quality of the glass actually is visible to the eye. I loved it. Maybe I'd better buy some!

One thing that MAY keep plus x in production is the fact that it is also a movie film. Whether the movie film is the same as the camera film is another question, but Kodak calls 'em both Plus X. The movie film version is available in short rolls from Film Emporium. Of course, movie films don't come with numbered frames, which is a pain. In the movie roll ends, it is very inexpensive, something like 18 cents/ft. I've been using the Double X, which I like very much. It has a bit more pronounced grain than Plus X.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Plus-x has been my favorite film for years. I cried for days when I accodently exposed my last box of 8x10 to the darkroom light. Even now it brings atear to my eye.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin